FJ09 all of a sudden won't start in gear.

kimofj

Today I noticed that my FJ won't start in gear with the clutch pulled in and side stand up. I had to shift it to Neutral to start it. I did put on heated grips but can't figure how that would make the clutch safety switch not work.  I meter checked the switch and it's switching. The wires going to the switch seem to be dead... are they fused if so where is the fuse? thanks Jim in Ojai ca

• Premium Member
you need to trace the wire back - if there is no voltage on the switch then you probably have a loose connector somewhere.

Have you had any modifications? If so, check for a pinched wire as this may also cause a fault.

If you have undone any connectors check the pins - easy to bend one when reinserting the plug.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Today I noticed that my FJ won't start in gear with the clutch pulled in and side stand up. I had to shift it to Neutral to start it. I did put on heated grips but can't figure how that would make the clutch safety switch not work.  I meter checked the switch and it's switching. The wires going to the switch seem to be dead... are they fused if so where is the fuse? thanks Jim in Ojai ca
There's a 2 wire switch at the clutch lever, you probably didn't reconnect it (correctly). 

• Premium Member
When I first got my bike, it wouldn't start in gear, either, even with the clutch pulled in. After getting annoyed enough with it, I finally checked the clutch lever switch plug. It was loose and pulled right out after gently tugging on the cable. I pushed it in pretty hard using the tip of a needle nose plier and tried tugging the cable again. It pulled out again. The next time, I pushed it it what felt like WAY too hard, and the plug caught and stayed in afterward when I tugged on it.
Don't follow. Don't lead. Don't join.

Archived