Transmission howl

philaw2

I bought a new FJ09 about 3 months ago.  It has a very load howl in 3rd, 4th, and 6th gear under acceleration.  Its not noticeable in 1st, 2nd or 5th gear.  In 6th from 50 mph to 70 mph it howls very load when accelerating, but goes away as soon as I roll off the throttle, or go past 70 mph.  I mentioned it to the service tech at Mission Motoprsports when I dropped it off for the 500 mile service.  He said its normal.  I thought it would diminish during break in.  But, I've got over 2000 miles on it now and its not going away.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Is there a solution, besides a tranny rebuild?  

• Premium Member
The gears on the MT09 whine a lot. I wouldn't describe it as a howl - that is more a term for the flow of gases, either exhaust or an induction noise.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the replies.  The dealer where I bought it said it was the chain, too.  But the bad noise is only in 2nd, 3rd and 6th gear.  If it was the chain, it would do it in every gear.  I just got off a BMW R1200RT and I guess that it's so smooth and quiet that everything else sounds noisy and clunky.  But, I raced off road for over 30 years, and the only time I heard anything like this was on my '80 Husky 390 and I ended up blowing the tranny.  I guess I'm paranoid.
Thanks again.

You might consider finding another Fj owner in your area to make a comparison. Same year and similar miles best. I met up with one in my area, ride together, and we switched bikes at one point so he could try out my Madstad windscreen before he made a purchase. This could help support your concern.

• 10 months later...
I had the same problem, stepping off my old, reliable shaft-driven Bmer. Definitely loosen the chain and if your dealer is not aware of the "way-too-tight" factory recomendation change, just do it anyway and check it after any service there. Unfortunately, that did not stop the "howl" on my FJ. I've decided the straight cut gears are the cause and just live with the noise. I guess you could go the V-twin route and run straight pipes and you won't notice the noise anymore, LOL. 8-)

Archived