What Crash Bar Do You Recommend?

I've been looking through posts and google trying to find which crash bar is most functional. So what do you recommend, why, and have you had experience with it (falls)? 

I also plan to add my aux led lights to it, so recommendations for the bracket and light would be appreciated as well! 

There have been a few guys who crashed with the Higdonion crash bars and skid plate and then posted up pictures, protection of engine parts is great. Especially the latest version with protects low hanging drain plug on 2015 year bikes. I have one, probably the best protection available.

Aesthetically I don't like the Higdonion, plus they're twice as much as what I'm leaning towards, which are the Motech ones. Unless people have had bad experiences with them.

I understand it's not about looks but functionality but I'm trying to find the middle ground.

• Premium Member
Aesthetically I don't like the Higdonion, plus they're twice as much as what I'm leaning towards, which are the Motech ones. Unless people have had bad experiences with them.  
I understand it's not about looks but functionality but I'm trying to find the middle ground.
I really think the new Higdonion version hits the ball right out of the park for looks and protection. The Motech crash bars look nice, but don't offer anywhere near as much protection. Humm, $259 for the Motech crash bars and $275 for the Higdonion version ($16 more for way more protection) is a no brainer in my book.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
...I think the differentiating factor here is the (partial) skid plate component that is integrated with the engine guard for a more complete package. Depending on where and how you ride this might be important. If you obsess over the location of the oil drain bolt and the bike's clearance overall, and you ride over dodgy terrain/roads...the skid plate will have value... even though it will reduce the bike's clearance even further. 
Although I don't think I have a need for a skid plate.... all this talk about clearance made me a bit more cautious when going over speed bumps etc.

Agreed, with the low profile drain bolt and cut-down fin, it's just fine with a little awareness. 

P_20160924_101801_zpsxwazywst.jpg
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• Premium Member
Isn't the price 400? Or is it 400 minus the group buy of 125
$400 is MSRP, so $125 off of that. 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Oh wow, that makes it much more appealing. I thought it was 400 after the group buy price. I think I'll definitely get in on the buy.

I've seen a lot of good things about Kris and I'm all about supporting small business. I have seen one person complain about scraping through turns. Anyone else have the same issue? Or any other complaints?

• Premium Member
I've been looking through posts and google trying to find which crash bar is most functional. So what do you recommend, why, and have you had experience with it (falls)?  
I also plan to add my aux led lights to it, so recommendations for the bracket and light would be appreciated as well! 
Here's my write up of my install. It's down toward the bottom of the page. I have been well pleased with the installation for the past year and a half. http://fj-09.org/user/623/recent?page=16

Oh wow, that makes it much more appealing. I thought it was 400 after the group buy price. I think I'll definitely get in on the buy.  
I've seen a lot of good things about Kris and I'm all about supporting small business. I have seen one person complain about scraping through turns. Anyone else have the same issue? Or any other complaints?
 $400 regular price - $125 group buy discount +$50 shipping to continental US= $325 total cost shipped to your door.

The scrapping in turns was with the old style Higdonion, which he does not make or sell any more. I have not read about anyone scrapping in turns on the new style.
Say what?  Last time I was on his web site, both were available.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Archived