One thing I'd forgotten about owning a new bike...

I'm used to owning and paying the bills on 30+ year old machines, the FJ is the first new bike I've owned since the 80's.

Just went down and re-registered it (In Maine, all motorcycles, regardless of when they are purchased,  are registered in March.)  $207.58  :'(

I'm used to more like $40 on my old beaters, gave me quite a start when she told me the new total!

Worth it tho, definitely worth it... :D

• Premium Member
Damn, I just renewed 3 cars here in Florida today for a total cost of $107.00
That's not the Maine that I remember but then all states have their sneaky ways to get your money.
BLB

The majority of that is "excise tax" aka property tax on vehicles, goes directly into town coffers. Only about $40 of that is registration fees.

It does go down as the vehicle gets older, not that that's much comfort...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
In GA we pay the taxes up front as an ad valorem sales tax of 6.5% of the vehicle value according to the state. A brand new FJ-09 is just under $700.00 I think. After that it's $25 per year to renew plates, for as long as you own it.

If you purchase a used motorcycle, you pay the ad valorem sales tax when you register & title the motorcycle at the used vehicle value rate.

LOL, you guys have it cheap. Here is Australia it's $480.70 for registration on a motorcycle. 
For a 6 cylinder car it's $895.90
For a V8 it's  $1086.10

...is that one time? We (Ontario) pay ~$120/yr for a car, and ~$50/yr for a bike. There are other small admin costs when moving plates or getting a new vehicle, but those are one time. 

Per year,  

a large part of the cost is "Compulsory Third Party" Insurance. This covers people injured in traffic crashes, no cover for vehicles or property, you choose to pay that separately, or not, just people

Archived