A short history of my sport touring rides since 1990

I liked all of them, and many before them. They are all different, but all provided a wonderful amount of fun over lots of miles. I loved the big engines as I have never had "Too much power". My reason for going with the FJ-09, had to do with weight. As I have gotten older, I have developed a preference for lighter bikes. The FJ-09, with the usual personalizing, has the power, speed, handling and luggage carrying capacity that suit me. When I got the FJ-09, I kept the FJR as I simply was not sure the new bike would really take the place of the amazing FJR which is simply one of the best LD bikes ever made. I loved the thing. It took me a while to get the FJ-09 set up to my taste, but once I did, I found that the FJR simply sat in the garage looking beautiful. Every once in a while, I took her out for a spin. Damn, I loved the raw power. But, I found the seat to peg distance cramped after the sitty-uppu FJ-09, and it seemed so heavy. Eventually, I sold it to a friend who has wanted if for years.

• Supporting Member
My reason for going with the FJ-09, had to do with weight. As I have gotten older, I have developed a preference for lighter bikes. 

I had the same mindset when looking at the FJ-09.  I previously owned a FZ1 and have ridden a buddy's FJR and wanted something in the middle.  The FJR is all-day comfortable and has boat loads of power, FANTASTIC bike, but I wanted smaller and lighter.  I installed the MCCruise and Seat Concepts seat on my FJ so it is good for all day comfort and when I hit the twisties it is super light and agile feeling. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 4 weeks later...
hmmm.....long succession of sport-touring bikes....certainly not brand-loyal!
1973 Honda 750 (in 1973)
1975 Honda Gold Wing (not much on the "sport" side :)
(3) Kawasaki Z1's
1980 Suzuki GS1000S (shouldn't have sold it)
1983 Honda 1100F
1983 Honda VFR750
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
1991 Kawasaki ZX11
1993 Honda 900RR
1998 Yamaha R1
2005 Yamaha FZ1
2008 Kawasaki Concour (great bike)
2008 Aprilia Tuono (fun bike, no range)
2015 KTM 1290 SA (didn't bond to it)
2015 Yamaha FJ09 --gunna' have it for a while!

image.jpg

Archived