Loose throttle tube

The throttle tube on my bike seems wicked loose. The tension on it when twisted is fine and the amount of freeplay in the twist is in spec. However, side to side and up/down is really loose. It is like the throttle tube has too large of a diameter for the bars. If you grab the throttle and wiggle it there is a relatively large amount of play in it. This has caused the throttle to be really jerky and snappy when going over bumps in the road (fairly rough roads where I live). Even when I really focus on having no weight in my arms and just let them "float" on the bars the throttle still moves.  

Is there any way to remedy this? Are any of your throttle tubes loose or seem oversized? 

I thought maybe after getting the bike flashed the issue would be tamed enough to let it be, but it is still there, not as bad but I still am not comfortable with it. 

This is my 2nd bike with my first being a '98 GS500e and the throttle tube is much tighter and what I consider normal (no free play side to side or circumferential, snaps back nicely) . The throttle does not unintentionally move when going over rough roads on this bike.

• Premium Member
First thing you need to realize is the fj has a 1/5 turn throttle so its like a hair trigger compared to what you had on your 98 Suzuki and will take some getting used to.

Also I've found that on ride by wire bikes you can adjust most of the play out of the throttle cable and not have a problem with your idle being affected like it was with the conventional throttles so this may help as well.

BLB

Although I'm happy with my stock throttle, Others have used a replacement throttle tube called a throttle tamer. You could try some thick grease between the tube and bar. It would have to be really thick to help and since I've never tried it I'm just guessing.

• 2 months later...
I got a throttle tamer and it fits on the handlebars like a throttle is supposed to, The throttle tube is not over sized like my stock one. My stock throttle tube fit like a hotdog down a hallway, with the hotdog being the handlebar.

• Supporting Member
You could try some thick grease between the tube and bar. It would have to be really thick to help and since I've never tried it I'm just guessing.
Please DO NOT do this.  Over time, the grease will thicken and turn to sludge and will attract dirt and grit and become potentially dangerous if that grit causes your throttle tube to stick.  They are assembled DRY from the factory for a reason. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

The plastic they are made from is self lubricating, grease should never be used. I am calling my stock throttle tube defected, it just wasn't the correct diameter. There is a +/- tolerance to everything in manufacturing and mine must have been right at the upper + tolerance.

Archived