Fz6r for the gf

thetruck454

I'm looking at one for the g/f. I like Yamaha's and the fz6r looks to be a solid beginner bike that she won't outgrow. Unfortunately the Fz-07's aren't her style else I'd go with those. I'm amazed at the prices people and dealerships are asking for the fz6r used, 4-5 grand, high miles or not. I've found a couple 2014 and 2015 new leftovers for 6 grand. I'm debating if a couple thousand is worth not having others molest the bike for roughly 10k miles. Thoughts?
'15 FJ-09 with an aftermarket parts addiction

I'm looking at one for the g/f. I like Yamaha's and the fz6r looks to be a solid beginner bike that she won't outgrow. Unfortunately the Fz-07's aren't her style else I'd go with those. I'm amazed at the prices people and dealerships are asking for the fz6r used, 4-5 grand, high miles or not. I've found a couple 2014 and 2015 new leftovers for 6 grand. I'm debating if a couple thousand is worth not having others molest the bike for roughly 10k miles. Thoughts?
Most of the time, buying a used bike 2-5 years old with low miles and not wrecked is a good deal.  If you are looking for a bargain, you have to look a little older, but not necessarily more miles.  I like the yamaha brand and would pick up a 10 year old bike with 30K + without a problem.  Many buy 60-80K FJRs and are quite happy all the way to 150K and more.  I know of a fellow in Ohio that took his 04 FJR to 395,000 miles before the cam chain tensioner disinergrated (?spel) bought another 04 FJR with 30K and now has over 137,000 on it.  Ya Yamaha.  I've got near 40K on my FJ and it feels just as good today as when I bought it, actually better.  Don't worry to much about the miles, as the way it was taken care of is more important.  If it works as good as new or your bike, it most likely will be okay.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

You also may want to look at the R3 for a beginner bike. It is lighter and easier to ride for a beginner. I'm even looking at a R3 to put on the back of an RV for a 25K mile trip around the US.  Remember a FZ6R weight is 470 lbs, more than a FJ or FZ.  Getting a bike around 300 lbs. is best for a woman, unless she weighs 300 lbs.  She will not outgrow an R3  for quite awhile.  Could be years.  She will become a better rider faster on a R3 than she would on a FZ6R.   Dollar for dollar an R3 maybe the best buy.  (I'm and old guy with lots of experience with this issue, do the research and you will agree).

The FJ is my second bike, I started on a gladius(sfv650) and put 12,000 miles on it before neending more. I was so glad I didn't start with a smaller bike so that's why I though fz6r for her. Though it is me who likes operating anything that burns fuel, not my tiny in experienced girlfriend. How are those little bikes on the highway?

Have her take the MSF Basic Rider course before you go bike shopping. Then go to a dealer (after the MSF course) to sit on various bikes and see what fits her best.

Yea that's already in progress. She has signed up for the weekend MSF course, but I'm going to have her do a lot of the basic stuff in a parking lot before. She's pretty set on sport bikes so that narrows it down.

• Premium Member
As well as the Yamaha look at the Suzuki SV650/DL650 (UK names for bikes with the 650cc V twin) and Kawasaki ER6 (650cc parallel twin probably called something different in US). These bikes are great for novices and pretty bullet proof.

A female friend, not much over 5 foot tall, started on an ER6 4 years ago, has had the FZ800 (800cc inline 4) for the last 2 years and is now looking at the new Ducati Monster. Don't assume your SO will not outgrow her first bike...
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

As well as the Yamaha look at the Suzuki SV650/DL650 (UK names for bikes with the 650cc V twin) and Kawasaki ER6 (650cc parallel twin probably called something different in US). These bikes are great for novices and pretty bullet proof.  
A female friend, not much over 5 foot tall, started on an ER6 4 years ago, has had the FZ800 (800cc inline 4) for the last 2 years and is now looking at the new Ducati Monster. Don't assume your SO will not outgrow her first bike...

I'm very familiar with the sv650's and have my eyes out for one, they just seam to be beat up/modified a lot so it's hard to find a clean one. The er6 is called the ninja 650 here and it's ​what my adulterous whore of an ex wife (too harsh?) had so while a great bike, I'd rather not bring back that memory. Good advice though. I hope she does outgrow her first bike because that means I've got her hooked.

• Premium Member
+1 on the SV650. my ex bought one as her 4th bike and it ended up being her favorite. Lots of capability and lots of fun. Great all around bike!

I want to add the importants of starting out small, especially for women, and this is big, it is a confidence builder. If the bike is over weight or over powered (it may not seam that way to you or someone that has had a bike or even a scooter before), it will slow the process of learning. Remember, in your words, "tiny in experienced girlfriend".  Example: We bought my wife a 750 Virago and after the MSF course, it seemed like she would drop it at any stop that was uneven or up hill. After a month of this, she said she wanted a smaller bike. We got her a 300# 250 Virago and she ended up riding it every where, she did 2400 miles in three months including a solo trip from Vanc. Wa to Seattle and back. After those three months, she climbed on the 750 and did over 50K without a problem, moved on to two other 1100 Viragos and and did another 100,000 miles.

We sold the 250 Virago a month later for about what we paid for it. Best investment we made. Best for learning. Best for confidence building. Best for resale. And I even had fun riding it around town, light and nimble.

The R3 would do the same and is the best of the 300 class. I think it will be spinning at 7K at 60mph, but it spins to 12K. earplugs help. Running an R3 down the freeway at 70-75 is right in the sweet spot for that engine. Running it at 9-11K rpm in the twisties is perfect for it's design too and so much fun.

What @redfjniner said.

My daughter decided she wanted to ride at 48 years old.  We found her a Kawasaki Ninja 250 and she rode that for two years.  When she was ready to move up, she got a Yamaha Bolt.  Bigger, heavier, faster.  She was ready for the power and seeing as her butt is so close to the ground, the seat height of the Bolt was perfect for her.

I agree with starting small. I started on a 1979 Kawasaki KZ400. The tank came pre-dented so I didn't have to worry about doing that myself. Someone else had already taken care of it for me. I bought it (non-running) for $400 and sold it after a few months for $700. So I made money on that little bike. Great investment that allowed me to buy my next bike with confidence.

Hi, My 02 cents only. I have an fj09 that I love dearly. My buddy bought a fz6r because it was half the price used and he is a family man. The fz6r imo is one of the best looking motorcycles on the market and has the best paint scheme's. It is also smooth as silk. We found that it will do over 120 miles an hour and leave the fj on the high end. Not so much on the bottom. We passed our bikes back and forth and I did not like the ergonomics at all. I like the more straight up posture. However this may be just the opposite for your gf. Everyone thinks this is a nice small little learner machine, it is not. The weight is almost the same as the fj and the gas mileage is worse. It has enough power that if you can handle the fz6r chances are good you can handle anything else out there. (Two wheel land Yachts excepted) My buddy kept his three months and swapped it in for a 1000$ loss and got an fj and never looked back. I say the 300 Honda or move right up to the one she'll be keeping

Well thanks for the advice, I am picking up a '15 Yamaha r3 Friday. We went to the dealership and she felt the weight/ size was very manageable and more importantly fell in love with the looks. I got it for $4000 with 1,162 miles on it. That was slightly cheaper than the fz6r's were going for, but I hope it helps her build better confidence/skills. I've already been on the r3 forums and it looks like people have swapped the top tripple clamp/bars/cables from the naked MT-03 so I have that in my mind if she needs a more upright riding position. She's so excited she's trying to color coordinate all her new riding gear lol. I'm trying to tell her to stay universal, like black, white, and silver incase she changes bikes, but it's not working lol.

Archived