First oil change problems.

Oil level indicator is crazy or I am.  (Prolly me.).  Did first break-in oil change & filter @ just over 600 miles.  Put in 2.7 liters as instructed.  Oil level indicator showed level to be just under max mark.  Took it out for quick spin and indicator window was completely orange.  Didn't settle over night.  Fired up engine on center stand and revved a few times and then indicator settled to show correct level.  Next brief ride did same thing--I.e. Level indicator completely orange with oil beyond max.  This time it didn't settle to proper level--even after a start-up & rev up on center stand.   Thinking maybe all of the original oil might not have drained.  Had bike up on center stand, of course.  At this point I am tempted just to do whole thing over.  Any help appreciated.  Baby stuff I know.  I've changed oil many times in my car & scooter.  Feeling stupid.  

• Supporting Member
Oil level indicator is crazy or I am.  (Prolly me.).  Did first break-in oil change & filter @ just over 600 miles.  Put in 2.7 liters as instructed.  Oil level indicator showed level to be just under max mark.  Took it out for quick spin and indicator window was completely orange.  Didn't settle over night.  Fired up engine on center stand and revved a few times and then indicator settled to show correct level.  Next brief ride did same thing--I.e. Level indicator completely orange with oil beyond max.  This time it didn't settle to proper level--even after a start-up & rev up on center stand.   Thinking maybe all of the original oil might not have drained.  Had bike up on center stand, of course.  At this point I am tempted just to do whole thing over.  Any help appreciated.  Baby stuff I know.  I've changed oil many times in my car & scooter.  Feeling stupid.   

Mine does the exact same thing and it drives me nuts.  I always start with 2 full liters, then add a little at a time between running the engine.  I let it settle for about 5 minutes each time, repeat until it is right in the middle of the sight glass.  Then the next time I run the engine and let it settle, even over night, it is completely full on the sight glass.  This is the only bike I have ever owned where this occurs. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I have noticed over the years and different bikes that service manual oil measures quoted can be a little out either way, so i measure the old oil and replace that amount, fire it up give it a few minutes, kill the engine wait a few minutes and check the oil, usually works out bang on.

I have no idea about orange looking oil, did the new oil look orange?

The problem with sight glass, is once it is over filled, you have no idea by how much it is over filled. Set oil level by sight glass to minimum level. Then start engine for only a minute, at less than 1,000 rpm, and shut it off. That is all that is needed to fill filter and oil lines. Wait a few minutes, check and refill as needed to bring oil level to minimum level in sight glass, repeat as needed, never going over full line.

Note the oil warning light should go off in just a few seconds after starting engine. Do not "rev" engine, that could cause oil to foam up and given impression of too much oil. Manual does say to check oil level on center stand, start and shut off engine, the let it sit a few minutes for oil to drain down.

If the oil level increases over night, there may be check valve in oil filter or oil ports that may be stuck open allowing oil to drain out the filter.

Thanks for all the replies.  I've come to the conclusion that the oil level indicator on this bike doesn't work very well.  If you empty the motor of all the oil and change the filter I don't think you can go wrong by putting in 2.5 quarts (2.83 quarts = the 2.7 liters the manual calls for with filter change) and adding more as needed.  I miss the old fashioned dip stick.

My concern would be with filter bypass valve. Is there a possibilty that the filter is not consistently refilling?
Are you using Yamaha oem filter?
I just completed first oul change on my FJ-09 also, at 648 miles. I installed K&N 204. It acted normally upon starting to check for leaks and took less than half quart to bring within marks on sight glass after a minute after shutting off engine. I have not ridden it since, do not know if will hold that level in the future or if it will act as you describe.

With 2.5 qts in there, you'll likely see the oil light on.  
Put 3 qts in it every time and you'll be sure there's enough in there.
Too much oil can be just as bad or worse than not enough oil. 3 qts is way too much on these little engines.

With 2.5 qts in there, you'll likely see the oil light on.  
Put 3 qts in it every time and you'll be sure there's enough in there.
Too much oil can be just as bad or worse than not enough oil. 3 qts is way too much on these little engines.
When it calls for 2.85 and you put 3 in, that's very minor. I've been putting 3 in mine since the first oil change, and have put more than 50,000 kms on it. No problems.

Mine is brand new and it is showing over the full mark. Had my wife watch it as I got on and brought it level from the sidestand and she said it just barely went over the full mark. I am taking it for the 1st ride tomorrow and will watch it closely. I may not sleep much tonight.

• Premium Member
You guys worry to much.

There's a minimum mark, there's a maximum mark.

If it's between them or somewhere close go for a ride. This ain't rocket science. Even rocket science ain't all that exact.

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Archived