Gear indicator display

I've been noticing that the gear display flashes and sometimes disappears when shifting into 5th gear and doesn't return to normal until shifted into another gear. It doesn't happen all the time and only in 5th gear. It doesn't drive any different so I'm thinking its an issue with display. Anyone have this issue or know why? Thanks.

It's located behind the front sprocket cover...on my FZ-07 it was overstuffed with grease...I just wiped it off with a clean rag and did a quick wipe of the sensor hole but still left a little bit to put a smear of grease on sensor face before I reinstalled it...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• 3 years later...
On 4/18/2017 at 1:28 AM, hscooter52 said:

I've been noticing that the gear display flashes and sometimes disappears when shifting into 5th gear and doesn't return to normal until shifted into another gear. It doesn't happen all the time and only in 5th gear. It doesn't drive any different so I'm thinking its an issue with display. Anyone have this issue or know why? Thanks.

Mine was doing this the last few months last year and still doing it early this year. I did an oil change yesterday and it has been perfect. Maybe some debris removed in an oil change? I have no other explanation, but mine was doing this 100% of the time and was out in 5th most of the time. I rode 60 or 70 miles yesterday and when I noticed no problems with 5th I spent as much time in 5th as possible to be sure.

• Premium Member

My 2017 has this problem in 6th gear only and not right away  but I notice it after I've been out for a while the 6 is gone.  Its still a gear indicator,  when there's a  blank in the dash, I'm in 6th.

• 1 month later...

Mine was doing the same thing a few years ago.  Once I replaced the Neutral Indicator it hasn't happened again.  Cleaning the original did temporarily fix the issue but it didn't last long.  The new part is cheap and easy to replace.

Brad
Selbyville, DE