Dealer service says they Never do throttle body sync.

huh?
I see that... but I'm guessing you wouldn't want your dealer to actually do this every oil change if the bike appears to be running fine. This interval is nuts.
Yeah who knows. Maybe some conspiracy by Yamaha to get their dealer's more service money.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Another vote here saying not all dealers are crooks or incompetent, I have always received professional service from my Yamaha dealer. In 44 years of combined car and bike ownership I’ve had only two dealer encounters in which I was dissatisfied.

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

• 2 weeks later...
My experience. I took my bike to the dealer for the first service at 600(?) miles. They had quoted me what I thought was a very reasonable cost of around $129.00 for like 1.5 hours labor plus oil & filter. When I arrived at the appointed time (I was going to wait til it was done), I asked the service manager if they were going to do the TBS, he refered to the service manual and confirmed that they would be doing it. I was able to observe from the waiting area that they did indeed do it. All toll, they spent about 2.5 hrs. on it. He said after that it had only needed a very slight adjustment, that I would not have noticed the difference on the road. He had not realized it was called for at the initial service and yet they only charged me what they had quoted me, he took responsibility for his mistake. I'd go back to that dealership in a heartbeat but they have since changed hands and service personel. Finding good service can be a real crapshoot.
Getting your ECU flashed is going to effect your throtle response and power 10X more than any TBS adjustment. I had my ECU flashed, bought myself some guages to do my own TBS, did it all at about 7.7K and it's like a new bike. The TBS again only needed a slight tweak. The best thing is that the fairly noticeable vibes from 4400-5000rpm disappeared.

The dealer I bought my bike from made much effort to get me into it at the rates I was comfortable at, and the service techs I know very well and trust them to do most of the work on the bike. I have really only taken it to them to do tire changes and recalls since I like working on my bike but I'd have no trouble having them do the service. All the techs there have also been there the past 5-6 years.

Another chapter to the sad Yamaha dealer service saga. The Dealer I eagerly went to for service 75 miles from my house is untrustworthy. Saga 1) replaced gear position switch in the trans and they forgot or mis-aligned the O-ring oil seal. Found this out after riding there and back, had to turn around ride back so they could make it right. Saga 2) Had them order sprockets and chain, and a new clutch cable. I brought in a new Michelin tire for them to mount since the wheel would be off for the other work. They ordered the right sprockets and chain but the clutch cable was ordered for an FZ-09. Same parts guy ordered all of it. so..?? Saga 3) they inflated the new tire to 29 lbs and I rode 75 miles home on it. I called the dealer, asked for the owner, told him all this and HE said "three strikes I guess?" "yeah" I said, "you're out." Follow up to the low tire inflation, the service manager called and said the tire machine pressure gauge was inaccurate. Their labor rate is $78 and I paid about $100 for all of it. The Yamaha mega dealer less than a mile from my house wanted about $250 labor and the parts were more costly. If I'm going to get worked over on a UJM like that I will just buy a BMW.

Archived