Ashland and the Oregon coast

keithu

• Premium Member
I did a short ride down to Ashland, Oregon this weekend and then out to the coast on my way home. This was my 20th Oregon winter and by far the worst; rain, rain, cold, and more rain. It's still a few degrees cooler than it ought to be at the end of April, but at least we finally got a reprieve from moisture.

I followed Highway 99E south through the Willamette Valley, then jogged west to Territorial Road to avoid Eugene.

lUTerAX.jpg

I started out on backroads trying to avoid I-5, but I was only in Roseburg by 1:00pm. I was meeting my wife and a friend for a play Saturday evening, so I slabbed it the rest of the way. This gave me time to hit the hot tub before our show.

Q2tPmFy.jpg

hTtgDVi.jpg

Sunday after breakfast I burned back up I-5 for a bit, and then took OR-42 out to the coast. I hit a few sprinkles but after the winter's onslaught it was nothing the FJ and I couldn't handle.

PuHFWY6.jpg

I rode north from Coos Bay to Reedsport, and then headed back inland along Smith River Road.

S5uzj83.jpg

Smith River Road is another of those classic Oregon byways, barely paved as it passes through forests seldom visited by anyone but loggers and motorcyclists.

GUHI1gC.jpg

Ve1bDvs.jpg

I haven't ridden Smith River Road in a few years, and was surprised to find the forest around Oxbow Summit to be completely logged over.

7x4Gj3i.jpg

I continued down the hill for an obligatory photo at the Big Wooden Map, and then hit one of my all time favorite bits of twisty asphalt: Wolf Creek Road.

C7H219b.jpg

After Wolf Creek I continued home through Veneta, Junction City, and Halsey. I had to keep the electrics burning almost the whole weekend, but it was nice to not be drenched for once.

• Premium Member
It was also nice to be back on my custom Mr. Ed's Moto seat! After riding a Triumph Tiger in LA last week with The Low Seat From Hell, it again reminded me why I spent the money on that saddle. After 610 miles I still felt better than I did after just 60 miles on the Triumph.

It was also nice to be back on my custom Mr. Ed's Moto seat! After riding a Triumph Tiger in LA last week with The Low Seat From Hell, it again reminded me why I spent the money on that saddle. After 610 miles I still felt better than I did after just 60 miles on the Triumph.
I had a Mr. Ed saddle on my BMW F650 back in 1998.  Worked out well.  What is Mr. Ed charging for a saddle these days? 

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Kiethu:  We will have to get together sometime.  Not to many know of Smith River - Wolf Creek roads.  When I was working in Bandon I traveled over that road 12 times in one season, mostly in the winter.  You can ride it faster in the winter than in the summer.  No traffic, the grass and brush on the sides of the road are dead.  In the summer the grass and brush is so high that you can't see around the corners.  When I have time and am traveling south towards the coast I take OR223 out of Dallas, thru King Valley, then jog back to Philomath and then take OR34 to Waldport.  Both roads are great.  Thanks for posting the pic.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
I paid $450 for my Mr. Ed's seat.

I used to ride Smith River 3-4 times per year traveling between Coos Bay and Albany, but I don't make that trip often anymore.

It has some condition issues, with many potholes and some severe sunken grades. It's still a fun road but must be taken with caution.

Wolf Creek is as nice as ever though. It looks like it has been resurfaced recently.

Archived