Newer rider eyeing an fj-09

Test ride the FJ09 and get it if you like it. Wear good gear and build up to confident, fluid riding when you feel ready. 
All bikes can go fast enough and are vulnerable enough to kill you so what will matter most is your own attitude on the road and spotting hazards before they get you.

At 30, the choice is yours and yours alone.

Wise words, I spent more on gear than I did on the ZR7 definitely a firm believer in ATGATT.
'17 electric white fj - oem heated grips - oem hard side bags - heated corbin saddle - mra touring screen - motodynamic tail light - baja designs led turn signals - yoshimura full exhaust/fender eliminator - k-tech razor r rear shock/front fork kit - evotech radiator guard - mt-09 adventure pegs - pazzo shorty levers - stainless bar end weights
'19 Husky fe501 - cut off a few things and fixed the fueling

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First thing I recommend you do is take a test ride at the nearest Yamaha Demo Day to you. As an inexperienced rider, the FJ-09 has a lot of power to get yourself in trouble fast if you don't respect it. Thankfully, its got features like traction control and ABS which might help save your bacon in the event you get too aggressive with the throttle. But that's not a substitute for learning to control a bike properly.  
Normally I would recommend most people put at least 5000 miles on something a bit more learner sized, before considering upgrading to something like an FJ09. You need to figure out your maturity level honestly to yourself before you put yourself on one of these. If you were driving a supercharged Corvette, would you want to put the pedal down? Or would you keep it right at the posted 55 mph speed limit? If you're like me that speedo needle would be at triple digits in no time. Same goes for the FJ09. Easily capable of cruising way faster than is legal/safe in most places.

The best thing you've got going for you is you're a taller person which will help you maintain control on an otherwise tall bike.

If you haven't, I definitely recommend you take the MSF Basic Rider Course. And if you get the FJ-09 definitely take the Advanced Rider Course on it as well.

I have completed the basic MSF course which was the route I took to acquire my M1 here in California. Probably should have mentioned before I'm turning 30 in a couple months and drive a heavily modified Golf R. I would consider myself to be a mature driver/rider, feel like I've gotten most of the stupid stuff out of the way at this point. Not saying I don't speed or anything but I have no problem chillin out and calmly rowing through the gears on a 400hp car.

I'll voice my unpopular opinion. I was 26 when I took the MSF basic course to get my license. I had zero experience on any two wheeled vehicles. My other driving experience included owning a 500+hp supercharged V8 sport truck and I had been riding snowmobiles(with fully adjustable aftermarket shocks) agressively for years. I went out and bought a practically new sv650 after debating between that and a monster 796. After moding the suspension to get it to handle, I put 12k miles on it without a hiccup. Had the fj/fz been out I probably would have gotten the fz-09 and been fine. I only learned after the sv I wanted an upright bike.

I think what we have in common is we are already used to speed and understand driving "hot" and know how to control it. Sure the mechanics of a bike are different, but that can be learned. If you respect power it doesn't​ control you.

If the fj fits you as a bike I don't see a reason not to get it.
'15 FJ-09 with an aftermarket parts addiction

I highly (stressing the highly) recommend another stepping stone before the FJ-09. You will hate yourself if you wad up a pretty FJ.  
I have a good friend and experienced rider who is your size. His top 3 recommendations for a new to intermediate rider are: SV650, Ninja 650, and Triumph Bonneville. An FZ07 might suit you was well, but I've never ridden one, neither has my friend.

The SV can be had for 2-3k and can be abused in ways best left discussed with close friends, without losing much value. Plus the SV has enough bump to really make you smile. I raced one for years, it was a hoot.

And, DON'T test ride the FJ. You will love it. You will tell yourself you will be good. You will buy it. You will not be good. I've seen it many times. Usually the rider lives, bike never does.

I've sat on an SV650 I found it to be quite uncomfortable. I think the ZR7S is fine for now and I will likely put quite a few more miles on it before upgrading. So I should skip that test ride I was planning in a week or so eh... 

Which style and generation SV did you sit on? The naked ones have handle bars and are more spacious while the semi or full faired ones are more compact. 

While a test ride would be an absolute hoot, the "smart" thing to do is not test ride one. Unless you really are that rare specimen of total self control :)

'15 FJ09

The FJ is my first bike and I love it. It has a lot of power so you need to respect it, its not as forgiving as a small 300cc bike for beginners. But it's a whole lot of fun and having tried a few different bike types during my riding course, I find the upright position is definitely an easy one for a beginner. Very comfortable and natural, unlike the foot-forward position of customs or the ultra-leaning position of a supersport.

As long as you follow a proper riding course / MSF course / whatever its called in your area, you'll be fine, if you don't abuse the throttle until you build up your skill.

One down side no one has mentioned, if it is one, the bike has a lot of torque and usable power in all gears. In Europe the model is not called "Master of Torque" (MT) for nothing. If you're new to manual transmissions, learning proper shifting will be slightly harder than on a smaller displacement engine which is forcing you to shift all the time.
2015 FJ-09 Matte Grey (Sold!)

Ended up getting a brand new with 0 miles on the clock 2017 electric white fj with heated grips and the 39L top case(apparently the hard side cases are back ordered for 2 months :/), unfortunately don't get it until friday but the dealership is delivering for free to my house which is pretty sweet since it's almost 2 hours away. Gonna pick up a t-shirt and hoodie looking forward to being an active member of the community.
'17 electric white fj - oem heated grips - oem hard side bags - heated corbin saddle - mra touring screen - motodynamic tail light - baja designs led turn signals - yoshimura full exhaust/fender eliminator - k-tech razor r rear shock/front fork kit - evotech radiator guard - mt-09 adventure pegs - pazzo shorty levers - stainless bar end weights

Ended up getting a brand new with 0 miles on the clock 2017 electric white fj with heated grips and the 39L top case(apparently the hard side cases are back ordered for 2 months :/), unfortunately don't get it until friday but the dealership is delivering for free to my house which is pretty sweet since it's almost 2 hours away. Gonna pick up a t-shirt and hoodie looking forward to being an active member of the community.
Congrats! 
Another piece of advice now that you own one, if you don't know this already: Make sure you adjust the front suspension and rear sag properly to ensure a comfortable and safe ride, the default factory setting is geared toward a 160-180 lbs person (if I remember correctly, eg. typical European build) with no passenger and no gear.

And you'll probably hate the default windshield since you're 6'5". I'm 6'3" and I was getting terrible buffeting at my helmet. Replaced it with a National Cycle VStream windshield and its a 1000x better bike now!

Have fun :)
2015 FJ-09 Matte Grey (Sold!)

Congrats! 
Another piece of advice now that you own one, if you don't know this already: Make sure you adjust the front suspension and rear sag properly to ensure a comfortable and safe ride, the default factory setting is geared toward a 160-180 lbs person (if I remember correctly, eg. typical European build) with no passenger and no gear.

And you'll probably hate the default windshield since you're 6'5". I'm 6'3" and I was getting terrible buffeting at my helmet. Replaced it with a National Cycle VStream windshield and its a 1000x better bike now!

Have fun :)

Thanks! Great advice I actually didn't know about adjusting the suspension. I was gonna order a new windscreen and hopefully have it by the time the bike shows up seems like the stock one isn't good for anybody.

Congrats man. You are going to have a blast. Just keep the rubber side down.

Thanks man, definitely the plan.

The Stormtrooper has arrived! Hadn't seen the white in person yet it looks awesome.

gvv9Jn6.jpg

Congrats! Seriously, get the suspension sorted as well as can be done in stock trim first and foremost. You can set sag yourself with a friend spotting and measuring for you.

Congrats! Seriously, get the suspension sorted as well as can be done in stock trim first and foremost. You can set sag yourself with a friend spotting and measuring for you.

Yeah I definitely want to do that. I don't think I'll have a chance to do the rear anytime soon but it's probably worth it to get the front sorted out for now right?

Also holy shit this bike. The first 10 miles I rode I laughed like a maniac I haven't had that much fun in years.

Yeah I definitely want to do that. I don't think I'll have a chance to do the rear anytime soon but it's probably worth it to get the front sorted out for now right?

Also holy shet this bike. The first 10 miles I rode I laughed like a maniac I haven't had that much fun in years.

Haha, glad you're enjoying it. Your stock tool kit has everything you need to adjust your front forks and rear spring. It is important that they work together.

Also holy shet this bike. The first 10 miles I rode I laughed like a maniac I haven't had that much fun in years.
Haha, glad you're enjoying it. Your stock tool kit has everything you need to adjust your front forks and rear spring. It is important that they work together.
Is it just me or am I missing a tool kit? 

LlXq7Fu.jpg

Archived