2017 clutch

I made the "mistake" of going to a Yamaha demo event today and trying out a 2017 FJ-09.  The clutch is soooo much lighter.  It feels like it requires half the force or less.

Seriously considering replacing my clutch now.

Suspension is definitely the same.  I couldn't really tell if the throttle mapping was better, I was so distracted by how easy modulating the clutch was.

The new FJ has the slipper/assist clutch. Because of the assist it uses light springs that gives the light feel and allows for more slipping at take off. Once you're on your way the clutch mechanically clamps the plates tighter.

I may convert mine some day but I'm happy with the clutch as it is.

• Supporting Member
That's neat. Although I personally like a bit of resistance in my clutch, gives better feel for rapid downshifts and throttle blipping.
The assist clutch still has continuous resistance through the full range of the lever pull, its just significantly lighter pull than a standard clutch.  I test rode the Versys 1000 w/ assist clutch several times before buying my FJ and that was the one thing that immediately caught my attention, the clutch pull was extremely light and as smooth as butter. 
I dont mind the clutch pull of my '15, but the switch to the assist/slipper sure might be on my list for a winter project.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

just changed out my cable to the updated one . pull is smoother . the bend at the bar is better . i was not going to chance a cable failing   30 bucks shipped 

What is this updated cable of which you speak?  An aftermarket one or was the clutch cable changed on the 2017s too?

Archived