First 500 mile ride and the OEM seat.

redfjniner

I have been able to knockout 500 mile days on both my sv1000s and my sv650. I can't ride more than 60-90 minutes on it or I'm toast.
I have never had issues like this on any bike I have ridden (all sport bikes though) and this has really ruined the bike for me to the point tha th I'm not even interested in riding it anymore. I have moved the seat. Bought shorts with pads in them. Rotated the handle bars and it still hurt my hips.

I'm actually starting to wonder of it maybe the foot positions. It seems like an awkward position than what I'm used to

Guest dmizer
I have been able to knockout 500 mile days on both my sv1000s and my sv650. I can't ride more than 60-90 minutes on it or I'm toast. I have never had issues like this on any bike I have ridden (all sport bikes though) and this has really ruined the bike for me to the point tha th I'm not even interested in riding it anymore. I have moved the seat. Bought shorts with pads in them. Rotated the handle bars and it still hurt my hips.

I'm actually starting to wonder of it maybe the foot positions. It seems like an awkward position than what I'm used to
Any time your body is pushed into doing something new, it gives you discomfort. If you've ever been weight training and added a new exercise to your routine, you'll know what this is all about.

My change (from a CB1300) in riding position wasn't as big as yours and I still started with discomfort. Wider bars in conjunction with being more upright, and straighter legs meant a different pressure point on my butt, all added up to discomfort in my shoulders, back, and butt. I got back today from my second 1000km trip in 4 days. When I was done, I soaked in a hot bath and went out for drinks at the local establishment. I would have never been able to pull off a trip like that on my old bike, let alone do it and still remain ambulatory.

Give it some more time, and slowly add more time and distance to your rides. If you're only discomfort is the seat, then look into having it redone by a professional.

I went for a 500 mile ride last monday mid 40 degree weather and bundled up. Maybe all the layers on my bum helped but I was comfy. The only time I had to stop was to get gas, use the bathroom, or admire the scenery.

I have been able to knockout 500 mile days on both my sv1000s and my sv650. I can't ride more than 60-90 minutes on it or I'm toast. I have never had issues like this on any bike I have ridden (all sport bikes though) and this has really ruined the bike for me to the point tha th I'm not even interested in riding it anymore. I have moved the seat. Bought shorts with pads in them. Rotated the handle bars and it still hurt my hips.

Sorry to hear that the riding position/seat are giving you trouble.  I came off a FJR and the riding position on the FJ is even better.  The seat is good but not as good as a Russell Day Long.  If you can't sit on the seat for more than 60-90 minutes, I would recommend that you forgo the  "arrow exhaust, engine covers, radiator guard, heated grips and some suspension work" until you get the seat worked out.  There are also peg relocators that can move the pegs up and back if that feels best, and I would do that before the seat.  The seat needs to be designed around the seated position.  Good luck and let us know what you do.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
I just got back today from a trip to the Smokey Mountains. Two days over 550 one 450 day and a few shorter rides while we were there. The stock seat really was the only thing uncomfortable (except some cold weather) . A couple hundred miles is ok, but all day is not good. I love bike, but I need heated grips and a better seat.  :) 

Jon

Well its good to hear the stock seat is reasonable. I'm about to take a 6-7000 mile trip. I'll let you know what I find after a 17-18 consecutive days of long riding. If it's real bad I may just buy a new one on the road if there's one in stock somewhere.

Well its good to hear the stock seat is reasonable. I'm about to take a 6-7000 mile trip. I'll let you know what I find after a 17-18 consecutive days of long riding. If it's real bad I may just buy a new one on the road if there's one in stock somewhere.
I'm saying the seat is okay.  I just finished my third 800 mile two day ride on the FJ.  I have now done 4400 miles in the last 3 months.  I have to advise you that a 17-18 day 6-7000 mile ride is much different than two days.  If sitting on a motorcycle seat is old hat and you can ride just about anything for 17-18 day, then okay, but if you haven't built up your butt  to do this, you may be very sorry.  You most likely will not be able to find a seat after you start your ride.  Good luck.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Good luck with the seat, where you going on this tour your doing ?  
ok, scrap that last bit, ive just seen your other post !!   Safe trip, look forward to the photies  8-)

I'm saying the seat is okay.  I just finished my third 800 mile two day ride on the FJ.  I have now done 4400 miles in the last 3 months.  I have to advise you that a 17-18 day 6-7000 mile ride is much different than two days.  If sitting on a motorcycle seat is old hat and you can ride just about anything for 17-18 day, then okay, but if you haven't built up your butt  to do this, you may be very sorry.  You most likely will not be able to find a seat after you start your ride.  Good luck.
   Perhaps you are right Red. My travel plan may be a little ambitious. If I find that its unpleasant I'll scale the trip back some and stay at some destinations longer. We shall see. I'll let you guys know my experience when I get back. 

Archived