• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 44 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

2015 Versys 1000

oldfart

Like Wessie, my FJ-09 (or his Tracer) served me very well for 24,000+ miles, but in early May I traveled to the east coast of the US with the intention of buying a motorcycle to ride cross country.  This used 2015 Versys 1000 was available for $8,800 loaded with accessories so I bought it and took the next two weeks to ride it across the country to Southern California, 3,600 miles in nine days of actual riding.  I have to say it is now my favorite bike and the FJ-09 is for sale.  Smoothness, power, comfort, the big Kawasaki has it all.  And surprisingly, it's every bit as maneuverable as the FJ in my opinion, despite the extra weight and size, and just as much fun in the twisties.  It just seems vastly more sophisticated than the Yamaha.  After two years of reading about Yamaha buyers adding side bags, heated grips, bigger windshields, modified suspensions, ECU flashes, extra 12 volt outlets, etc. it became obvious that what they were trying to do was create a Versys 1000 out of an FJ-09! Anyway, that's my story and I'll stay on the forum as long as I have the Yamaha, which I'm still riding and putting miles on.  But unfortunately, when I'm on the Yamaha now I'm wishing I was on the Versys. 

Full_Size_Render_2.jpgIMG_8461.jpgIMG_8483.jpg

• Supporting Member
I test rode the Versys 1000 and really liked it, your assessment was spot on. Larger bike but still very maneuverable in the twisties, and smooth... Smooth clutch pull, smooth transmission, smooth on/off fueling etc.
Surprisingly very stable at speed and yet you could throw it around in the corners. I was ready to pull the trigger on the Versys but a better deal came along on FJ at my favorite dealer. VERY nice bike!

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Not had the chance to actually ride the Vs. 1k but I sat on one in the store. Super comfortable. Really nice bike. At the time, I was on a tighter budget and even the FJ was more than I wanted to spend. Getting the FJ allowed me to buy the side bags used after I had restored my play money that was depleted from buying the bike, then buy the top case once I restored my play money again and so on. If I were to go back and was able to splurge I very well could have ended up with a Versys 1k. It's "more expensive" if I recall but not really if you buy all the bags and accessories that come standard on a Versys for the FJ up front. Now my money situation is a little different. I'm not looking to replace my FJ any time soon because I like it so well, but if I did, I'd have to look pretty hard at the BMW S1000XR now that they supposedly have the bar buzz issue sorted out. Ride what you like and don't let anyone tell you different.

Archived