Wondering if XSR900 body work will work with an FJ?

The thing I like least about the FJ is the appearance from the front.  The whole Transformer thing just doesn't work for me.

I DO like the XSR.  Very much.  Haven't really looked closely at the body work on it, but I got to wondering if the headlight would mount up to the FJ without a major engineering challenge.

I shall have to stop by the dealer and do a little visual inspection...

Somewhat in the same vein, I took my first after-dark ride tonight (on the way home from grandson's High School Graduation...) and I must say I'm impressed with the FJ's lights!

• Supporting Member
Looking at the XSR, there is NO body work to swap between the bikes, the XSR only has a round headlight.
To do any kind of conversion, everything forward of the forks would have to be discarded from the FJ.
Since the rest of the FJ is more angular vs rounded on the XSR, I personally think the round headlight would look totally out of place on the FJ, just like adding busy angular pieces would be out of place on the XSR.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I you decide to start going custom on the front end, you should try to do a dual headlight like the old triumph speed triples before they started looking like bugs.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
You'd have to figure something out for the instruments. The XSR instrument is a tiny round thing mounted on the triple clamp. The FJ instrument is a boxy thing hanging on a subframe. You'd want to get rid of the subframe, and the tank is different, probably wouldn't look right. I suspect you would spend a lot of time and money on this conversion only to wish you had just bought an XSR in the first place.

You'd have to figure something out for the instruments. The XSR instrument is a tiny round thing mounted on the triple clamp. The FJ instrument is a boxy thing hanging on a subframe. You'd want to get rid of the subframe, and the tank is different, probably wouldn't look right. I suspect you would spend a lot of time and money on this conversion only to wish you had just bought an XSR in the first place.
Yup, even a cursory glance at the differences indicates that it's not a practical idea. 
As to wishing I'd bought the XSR...we are NOT going to go there!   :-X   I'm still marveling over the fact that SWMBO didn't just shoot me when I bought the FJ!

Archived