2017 FJ reset check engine light

dbeau

See the following thread for how to reset 2017+ check engine light: https://fj-09.org/thread/5723/2017-reset-check-engine-light

Hello all, does anyone know how I can reset the check engine light.  
I let the rear wheel spin with the bike on the center stand and I suspect the bike thinks the front wheel speed sensor is broken.

Anyway, the CEL came on and won't go away. Thanks

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately mine won't go off. I've ridden 50+ miles since the light came on and it persists. I'm not even 100% positive that's why it's on but I thought it seemed logical. 

All I know is that I changed the oil/filter, cleaned the chain and at some point the CEL came on and now it won't go off.

Does anyone know if disconnecting the battery will reset it? I'd really rather not take my bike to the dealer just to get them to turn the damn CEL off.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately mine won't go off. I've ridden 50+ miles since the light came on and it persists. I'm not even 100% positive that's why it's on but I thought it seemed logical.  
All I know is that I changed the oil/filter, cleaned the chain and at some point the CEL came on and now it won't go off.

Does anyone know if disconnecting the battery will reset it? I'd really rather not take my bike to the dealer just to get them to turn the damn CEL off.

Try taking both the positive and negative wires off the battery terminals and touch them together once they are disconnected. It will discharge any residual charge in the system (no sparks or anything). It works for my old honda.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

If you have a fault resetting it won't help, it will just keep setting the code. I haven't looked into it yet but my guess is that the OBD may be accessed through the display somehow.

But the best thing to do is just stop by your local dealer and have it checked.

When my 2015 FJ 09 was new, I took the rear wheel speed sensor off and taped it to one side for a test ride because I wanted to try and disconnect the rear anti-lock brakes. That didn't work because the ECU needed the signal for speedometer and other stuff. I had to reset the dash, but I don't remember what I did. Wait until someone who knows how to do it signs in.

Try this to erase faults in memory (per 2015 service manual): 

[ul type=disc][*]On the dash display, press "TCS" and "RESET" buttons togethe

This doesn't work on the 2017 model but thanks anyway.

I guess I'll be heading to the stealership. Thanks all for your input

• 4 weeks later...
What code is the bike giving you? It should display on the right screen, after you turn on the key but before you start the bike?

Sadly, the 2017 model doesn't show codes like previous years

Finally got it in to the dealer to straighten this out. The tech confirmed that the only way to turn off the light is by plugging it in to a computer running Yamaha diagnostic software and checking/clearing the codes. He said there were only two "historic" codes that came up one being a "stall" and the other being "front wheel ABS sensor". He couldn't explain why the check engine light remained on being that these weren't "Active" codes.

Either way he cleared the codes and no more Check engine light so I'm a happy camper.

Finally got it in to the dealer to straighten this out. The tech confirmed that the only way to turn off the light is by plugging it in to a computer running Yamaha diagnostic software and checking/clearing the codes. He said there were only two "historic" codes that came up one being a "stall" and the other being "front wheel ABS sensor". He couldn't explain why the check engine light remained on being that these weren't "Active" codes.  
Either way he cleared the codes and no more Check engine light so I'm a happy camper.
Just curious... Were charged to clear the codes?

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Just curious... Were charged to clear the codes?
Heeeellllll no I just bought the damn thing 4 weeks ago haha. If they tried to charge me I'd have told them to cram it. I'm not sure how an out-of-warranty bike would be handled in that situation though.

• 1 year later...
Follow up wrt a 2019 Tracer 900 GT that I picked up new this AM. My engine light is on and won't go off. In addition, I am unable to access the "menu" screen on the TFT display. Bad news is that a brand new bike (60 miles on the odometer) is having issues. Good news is a bike with only 60 miles is having issues - There should be no questions or challenges to a warranty service.

• Supporting Member
Follow up wrt a 2019 Tracer 900 GT that I picked up new this AM. My engine light is on and won't go off. In addition, I am unable to access the "menu" screen on the TFT display. Bad news is that a brand new bike (60 miles on the odometer) is having issues. Good news is a bike with only 60 miles is having issues - There should be no questions or challenges to a warranty service.

You just picked it up this morning, was the CEL on when you bought it? or did something trigger the light several miles down the road?  Just wondering if it was on when they did the dealer prep set-up check.

Either way, turn around and have that dealer fix it.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Archived