• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 45 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Rizoma MA009 Bars

• Premium Member
I was having two issues with the stock bars that I needed fixing:
1) My thumbs getting sore and/or going numb and, 
2) the wide and flat bar position forcing my elbows out wide.

I ended up going with the gold Rizoma MA009 bar since I thought it matched the forks nicely. It mounts straight up and doesn't have any clearance issues with the tank. I drilled a location hole for the throttle but not for the control modules, and just dremeled off the locator pins on those. The left control module definitely doesn't need the locator pin hole, but the right had side could use it. I ended up shaving off too much of the locator pin and had to use some electrical tape on the bar to keep it from rotating. I haven't done a long ride yet, but the greater sweep of these bars seem exactly like what I needed. Feels like a sportbike now!

IMG_2034.jpg

IMG_2035.jpg

IMG_2036.jpg

IMG_2037.jpg

IMG_2038.jpg

Chadman http://www.twistypedia.com
The roster: '79 Honda XL 125 '83, Honda Ascot VT500, '84 Kawasaki GPz 550, '83 Honda VF700, '86 Kawasaki Ninja 600, '87 Kawasaki Ninja 1000, '84 Suzuki GSX-R 750, '96 Honda CBR600F, '98 Kawasaki ZX-7R, '85 Kawasaki Ninja 600, '01 Suzuki GSX-R 750, '16 Yamaha FJ-09, '15 Yamaha FJR1300ES, KTM 1290 Super Duke GT

@chadman I've been interested in these, but I like to use hand guards during the winter. What is in the ends of these bars? Can they be threaded (I assume they are not) to mount the handguards?

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
@chadman I've been interested in these, but I like to use hand guards during the winter. What is in the ends of these bars? Can they be threaded (I assume they are not) to mount the handguards?
I'll let you know that soon! The bars are not threaded as delivered, but I have an M16 tap on the way, and that should allow me to thread the ends of the bars. I don't plan on putting the stock handguards back on, but I do like running bar end weights. Currently, the Rizomas are sporting the rubber plugs that they ship with.

The roster: '79 Honda XL 125 '83, Honda Ascot VT500, '84 Kawasaki GPz 550, '83 Honda VF700, '86 Kawasaki Ninja 600, '87 Kawasaki Ninja 1000, '84 Suzuki GSX-R 750, '96 Honda CBR600F, '98 Kawasaki ZX-7R, '85 Kawasaki Ninja 600, '01 Suzuki GSX-R 750, '16 Yamaha FJ-09, '15 Yamaha FJR1300ES, KTM 1290 Super Duke GT

I'll let you know that soon! The bars are not threaded as delivered, but I have an M16 tap on the way, and that should allow me to thread the ends of the bars. I don't plan on putting the stock handguards back on, but I do like running bar end weights. Currently, the Rizomas are sporting the rubber plugs that they ship with.
I have the FZ-09 bar ends on mine currently, but I use a set of bark busters during the winter. So i would like to retain the ability to do that.

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Supporting Member
Those bars look nice, the bend is MUCH better than the stock bar. I have the MA005 on mine (no longer made) it is slightly lower than the MA009.
The bars DO NOT come pre-threaded, you will have to do that yourself. I removed the handguards and use FZ1 weighted bar ends.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I ended up getting an M16x1.5mm tap and a cheap tap handle from Amazon and was able to tap the bar ends without too much drama. Worst part was the crappy handle kept loosening up, but besides that it was no biggie. Just a bit stressful to make sure the tap started out straight, and then no problem after that.

• 2 weeks later...
Just a note to let you all know that you can purchase Keenserts (meteric) from Mcmaster.com. They are available with pins that keep them from rotating or with an epoxy patch. Yes you will need to buy a tap to match the outer threads of the keensert and you choose the inner thread to match your bolt you are using for your handguards. You may have to change bolt thread pitch depending on the specs for the keenserts. Check it out.

• Premium Member
Chadman - Is that the Yamaha factory sticker I see on the right side of your tank? Take that thing off, it's yours now!

And the bars look great!

• Premium Member
HAHAHAHA. That thing would be long gone by now, but I really hate the smell of Goo Gone on my hands, so it's still there!

• 1 year later...
Those bars look nice, the bend is MUCH better than the stock bar. I have the MA005 on mine (no longer made) it is slightly lower than the MA009. The bars DO NOT come pre-threaded, you will have to do that yourself. I removed the handguards and use FZ1 weighted bar ends.

I know this is an old thread but...

You still happy with your Rizoma MA005.. the MA006 is the updated version.. very similar specs as the MA009 just not as much rise. Any clearance issues with the lower rise? What is the stock rise, for reference?

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Supporting Member
@duhs10 From what I remember, (take that for what it is...) the MA005 was very similar in height to the stock bar but it was narrower and had a more comfortable rearward bend. The stock bars, for me, were way too wide and too straight.  No clearance issues with the MA005.
Rizoma makes several different bends, as does Renthal  (see the measurements at the bottom of the page)

When I was shopping for handlebars, I checked out every bar chart and wrote them all down and then narrowed it down to what measurement(s) I needed.

• 10 months later...
  • Supporting Member
43 minutes ago, CMC said:

What are your physical dimensions that this bar fits so well?

Who is this question directed to? 

I have the older MA005 bars (no longer made) that have been replaced by the MA009 bars.  I am 6'-1" with 33-34" inseam.

FWIW, I don't like wide bars, the original FJ bars were very wide in my opinion.  Even thought the Rizoma bars were narrower than stock, I still cut an additional 3/4" off each side before tapping the ends for bar end weights.

• 8 months later...

any long term follow up on the Rizomas?  I just got my 2019 Tracer a month ago but am already focused on getting the bars changed out.  i'm coming over front the SV650 and, in retrospect, i really liked the bars on that bike.