list of farkles, enhancements, add-ons, aftermarket parts

“AND NOW THE END IS NEAR…”

So warbled Frank Sinatra in what became his signature piece. I won’t burst into song lest I frighten passing dogs and small children, but I can also say that now the end is near for me too, as I have in fact finished the final farkle!

And as I’m always interested in learning what others have done to their bikes by way of farkling, add-ons, enhancements, call them what you may, here is my list, which I now don’t expect to have to add to. These enhancements are mainly in two categories - increasing safety and/ or comfort and ease of use. Just a cuppla the following could be regarded as ‘bling’!

Safety enhancements:

• Front hi-viz LED lights on DIY mounting-bar

• DIY rear hi-viz flashing brake LEDs

• 2” auxiliary blind-spot mirrors

• Risers/ extenders for rear-view mirrors

• Not-quite Mack truck-like Stebel Magnum horn

• DIY Stainless-steel mesh radiator guard.

Add-ons aimed at increased comfort and/ or ease of use:

• Genuine Grip Puppies

• Span-adjustable brake and clutch levers

• Rubber-topped foot-pegs

• DIY side-stand lowering-peg extension

• Go Cruise throttle-lock ‘cruise control’

• cncfx side-stand foot enlarger

• DIY easier-to-locate button on indicator switch.

Others:

• Rear rack carrying a 28L Third Gear top-box

• AMHP headlight protectors

• DIY carbon-look protective knee patches on tank sides

• Decorative ‘MT-09 Tracer’ and Yamaha badges on OE hard panniers.

The all-up cost of these things has been around AUD$845, which in many cases includes shipping from some faraway places. AUD$845 = CAN$833, USD$645, GBP£501, €562.

Most of these little jobs have been written-up, with pix, on the ‘what did you do… today’ Thread here.

Happy days!

• Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

2015 red FJ 09 farkles:
Madstad 24 inch wind screen
Aussie McCruise cruise control
Scottoiler electronic chain oiler
Rox risers and extended cables
Corbin saddle
Custom LED brake and rear turn signals
OEM top case w/LED inserts
Givi Trekker Outback side cases
2 Wheel Dynoworks ECU flash
PIAA fork mounted driving lights
Traxxion Dynamics front shocks
Penske rear shock and spring

• 2 months later...
“AND NOW THE END IS NEAR…”
So warbled Frank Sinatra in what became his signature piece. I won’t burst into song lest I frighten passing dogs and small children, but I can also say that now the end is near for me too, as I have in fact finished the final farkle!

And as I’m always interested in learning what others have done to their bikes by way of farkling, add-ons, enhancements, call them what you may, here is my list, which I now don’t expect to have to add to. These enhancements are mainly in two categories - increasing safety and/ or comfort and ease of use. Just a cuppla the following could be regarded as ‘bling’!

Safety enhancements:

• Front hi-viz LED lights on DIY mounting-bar

• DIY rear hi-viz flashing brake LEDs

• 2” auxiliary blind-spot mirrors

• Risers/ extenders for rear-view mirrors

• Not-quite Mack truck-like Stebel Magnum horn

• DIY Stainless-steel mesh radiator guard.

Add-ons aimed at increased comfort and/ or ease of use:

• Genuine Grip Puppies

• Span-adjustable brake and clutch levers

• Rubber-topped foot-pegs

• DIY side-stand lowering-peg extension

• Go Cruise throttle-lock ‘cruise control’

• cncfx side-stand foot enlarger

• DIY easier-to-locate button on indicator switch.

Others:

• Rear rack carrying a 28L Third Gear top-box

• AMHP headlight protectors

• DIY carbon-look protective knee patches on tank sides

• Decorative ‘MT-09 Tracer’ and Yamaha badges on OE hard panniers.

The all-up cost of these things has been around AUD$845, which in many cases includes shipping from some faraway places. AUD$845 = CAN$833, USD$645, GBP£501, €562.

Most of these little jobs have been written-up, with pix, on the ‘what did you do… today’ Thread here.

Happy days!

• 3 years later...
On 7/16/2017 at 3:20 AM, wordsmith said:

DIY easier-to-locate button on indicator switch.

I like the sound of this ,,,had no idea something like this was even available ,,,I hit horn when I want T S and visa versa ,,can you provide a link

thanks 

2 hours ago, Bill H said:

I like the sound of this ,,,had no idea something like this was even available ,,,I hit horn when I want T S and visa versa ,,can you provide a link

thanks 

This may help - from a more recent post on the same fiddly subject:

I haven't seen the 2021 model so don't have good image of the switchgear.   However, psyco's post #9 above gives a good enough impression.   The layout on my 2020 SP was rather different (no c.c. for one thing), but it too was easy to mis-use the horn button by mistaking it for the indicator button located next-door.   To make the indicator button more 'feelable' I took one of the so-called furniture-protectors/bumpers - a tiny silicone dome of 11mm diameter - scraped off the adhesive, and fixed it to the sliding indicator button with a spot of superglue, securing it while curing overnight with a piece of masking tape.   It made it very much easier then to differentiate the feel of the various adjacent buttons, and worked perfectly for me.   I'll try to find a pic...

LATER EDIT...taken from a previous post on this subject

So as before, I fixed this with cheap and quick trick - I simply took one of those tiny 11mm diameter silicone 'bumpers' ('surface protectors' or whatever), cut a slice off each side vertically to reduce its width, removed the adhesive, and stuck it onto the indicator switch with superglue, securing it to cure with a strip of masking tape.   Et violin - that should help!   Pic below.

p1070091-jpg.161645

Edited by wordsmith

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

8 hours ago, wordsmith said:

I haven't seen the 2021 model so don't have good image of the switchgear.   However, psyco's post #9 above gives a good enough impression.   The layout on my 2020 SP was rather different (no c.c. for one thing), but it too was easy to mis-use the horn button by mistaking it for the indicator button located next-door.   To make the indicator button more 'feelable' I took one of the so-called furniture-protectors/bumpers - a tiny silicone dome of 11mm diameter - scraped off the adhesive, and fixed it to the sliding indicator button with a spot of superglue, securing it while curing overnight with a piece of masking tape.   It made it very much easier then to differentiate the feel of the various adjacent buttons, and worked perfectly for me.   I'll try to find a pic...

So as before, I fixed this with cheap and quick trick - I simply took one of those tiny 11mm diameter silicone 'bumpers' ('surface protectors' or whatever), cut a slice off each side vertically to reduce its width, removed the adhesive, and stuck it onto the indicator switch with superglue, securing it to cure with a strip of masking tape.   Et violin - that should help!   Pic below.

p1070091-jpg.161645

8 hours ago, wordsmith said:

p1070091-jpg.161645

ha I love it ,,is it still stuck ? this mt09 layout is bout the same as my old fz07,,,,the horn may as well been on the rear fender,,,,impossible to  find in a hurry,,

the Tracer horn is below the T S,,but still just as annoying for me anyway 

thanks for taking the time,,I will send you a pic after I get it done