Bagster seat for MT 09 Tracer and it's complete failure.

A couple of months ago I purchased I Bagster seat from Silverstone I France. I bought the DIVA version, that is the expensive version and opted for BULTEX foam in order to raise the comfort level.
I knew up front that the seat maybe had some leaking issues when wet, but were rest assured that a NIKWAX treatment would take care of that matter.

I had been planning a 3200 mile trip around Europe and have been driving with the seat 8 weeks up to the departure time of the trip. The seat did well enough, and I were sure the seat would be a good investment.

Unfortunately not! The seat leaked VERY bad when wet, and would take up to two days to dry up. After every rainfall, I had a wet ass for the next 2 days! The seat had been NIKWAX treated just before departure.

Further more, the seat shell/base is not made properly, and is therefore very hard to fir properly to the bike.
These two things I could have lived with, but what made the matter worse was the seat foam collapsing during the ride. The seat went from comfy to a torture instrument. The BULTEX foam was getting weaker and weaker every day that we rode.

The seat performed nicely back home before departure, but 12 days of 8-10 hours of riding killed it completely.
The last 1500-2000 miles I could feel the plastic shell of the seat trough the BULTEX foam, and that is NOT very pleasant when you have to be in the seat all day long!

Now I’m considering writing to Silverstone and complain, but all my other requests for information I have send them, have been answered by silence.
The original seat is now back on, and I’m considering to get a costum seat made out of the Bagster seat since I fear that a complaint to the company is worth nothing!

To sum it all up:
I can NOT recommend the Bagster seat for the Tracer! Take your hard earned money somewhere else!

20170505_112452.jpg

To sum it all up: 
I can NOT recommend the Bagster seat for the Tracer! Take your hard earned money somewhere else!

20170505_112452.jpg

Isn't it strange how one man's seat is another man's poison?   I am still on the quest for the Holy Grail of seats on this bike.   On my previous MT-09 Tracer I fitted a BAGSTER seat exactly as described here.   I cannot comment on its 'wetness' characteristics, for it never came to that, but in terms of comfort, I recall writing on this very Forum that once I had fitted the BAGSTER unit "my bum thinks it has died and gone to heaven!"   Perfection in every way! 
Unfortunately, also very expensive here in Australia - would be close to AUD$600+ nowadays, which is the reason I'm currently trying alternative approaches, the latest being a LUIMOTO Gold Gel seat insert, now on order.  

But I do also recall that a mid-cost alternative that I found satisfactory was the SEAT CONCEPTS replacement foam+seat cover kit that they offer as a substitute for the OE seat.   I'm referring here to their standard replacement seat and not their later Sport/ Touring kit.  In comfort terms I placed this (the standard replacement) midway between OE seat and the BAGSTER unit.   But unfortunately, we - and our bums - are all different, so what works well for one may not suit another.

A great pity about your experience, NOE, but if it was me I'd be writing to the makers at BAGSTER, rather than to Silverstone, who I believe only to be a retailer of their products and probably less inclined to be interested in your problem and in offering a solution..   Let us know how you get on, please.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

if you don't get any satisfaction from bagster its pretty easy to pull one side of the covering and place new foam underneath. Not ideal bu better than going back to stock!
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

It's a shame the Bagster Seat didn't work out and such a shame that the company seem to be opting for the silent treatment instead of addressing the issue.

Reputation by word of mouth is worth more to some businesses and I do hope that they respond.

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

Archived