The Border Run and extended holiday - THE RIDE REPORTS

kimmie

Here is Oz there is an annual ride called "The Border Run". It was initially instigated by the BMW owners club some 40 years ago and is still going strong. This year is the 41st year and will my first time attending.....one of those bucket list things, ya know.

Riders from all over the country converge on a tiny roadhouse in the middle of nowhere called Border Village  to have a meal together and then head home. Sound strange to you, well it does to some but I have met some of the best friends I have doing this. Many of the folk in orange coloured hats are fellow FarRiders and friends of mine. Now FarRiders is about long distance riding and a smaller version to what you have as IBA (Iron Butt Association) of which I am also a member and hold an IBA #.

I'm leaving home in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia on Wednesday morning between 03:00-04:00 am and will arrive @ Border Village on Friday in the afternoon. No doubt fun and frivolity will prevail, lots of photos will be taken and I'll hopefully have a smile on my face longer than the 90 Mile Straight
Now I have travelled far and wide by motorcycle on my own and am taking 3 weeks holiday from work to do some travelling after The Border Run and hopefully if the weather is nice to me camp along the way.

What's Karl (hubby) doing? Well he'll be at home watching me on my SPOT link-Border Run 17 while I traverse myself across the country taking in some astounding sights and having an adventure. Karl does ride but unfortunately our leave doesn't align very often and you have to take the opportunities as they arise. 

Along the way I am hoping to blog the experience....the good, the bad and the ugly - warts and all so to speak. If you feel so inclined you can read as I travel on this link Kimmie Kares

In 3 weeks I'm looking to cover some 6500 km (approx 4000 miles) to which Dudley will need a new set of shoes and a service afterwards.

Hope you check in to see where I am.
I don't do technical but I love pics and a good story.

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

Here is Oz there is an annual ride called "The Border Run". It was initially instigated by the BMW owners club some 40 years ago and is still going strong. This year is the 41st year and will my first time attending.....one of those bucket list things, ya know. 

Wishing you well kimmie, and a safe return.   Look forward to your words, pix, lies, exaggerations, et al on your return... 
L

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Everyone,

Well I made it there and back with only 1 minor incident.....hit a roo!!!  All's good Dudley now has some character marks on him.

So, I really hope you enjoy the ride reports for each day and the pics. Some of the pics really don't do the scenery of the art justice.

Get a cuppa and settle back into your comfiest chair........

Day 1:  Home to Renmark

Day 2: Renmark SA to Ceduna SA

Day 3: Ceduna SA to Border Village WA

Day 4: Is missing in action until I can figure out how to pull the pics of the camera itself (dummy here forgot to put the memory card back in).

Day 5: Border Village WA - Ceduna SA

Day 6: Ceduna SA to Elliston SA

Day 7: Elliston SA Sightseeing

Day 8: Elliston SA to Port Augusta SA (The Gutter)

Day 9: The Gutter SA to Alpana Station Blinman SA

Day 10: Alpana Station Blinman Sightseeing

Day 11: Alpana Station Blinman to Nuriootpa SA

Day 12: Nuriootpa SA to Horsham SA

Day 13: Horsham VIC to Swan Hill VIC

Thanks for taking the time to enjoy the adventure.

How was that 'roo that you attacked, Kimmie?   Brilliant from-the-heart reporting and pix too, BTW.   Thanks for sharing this inspirational stuff.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

How was that 'roo that you attacked, Kimmie?   Brilliant from-the-heart reporting and pix too, BTW.   Thanks for sharing this inspirational stuff.
I didn't stop to look, to be honest or it would've been the end of the trip for me.  I'm just glad it was only a small one 4-1/2 foot.

Piotrek - Many times I'd ridden or driven past something interesting and I'd just say to myself... "cool!"... without as much as a thought to stop and take in the 'coolness'.
Oh man, you just have to STOP sometimes and smell the roses, take in the scenery and grab a coffee. Some of the best places are off the road most travelled hidden in little pocket towns. A lot of the pics I take on the fly. The camera I have on a wide lanyard which I hang around my neck and click away as required. Some shots though you just have to stop for. 
Thanks for taking the time to read them guys. Hopefully more will take the time.

Archived