• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 39 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Replacing stock grips once you have grip heaters installed

Hi.  Is it possible to replace the stock grips with the deluxe grips Yamaha offers for the FJ if you already have had grip heaters installed?  In other words, if I try to replace the stock grips now do I risk messing up the electrical wiring of the heat system?   Thanks for any help.  --Alex

On my previous Sprint ST I installed the stick on heated elements and then add after market gel type grips over the elements. I was never quite happy with the heat translfer because the gel style grips just did not conduct heat well. Alway wished I had just stuck the original OEM grips back over the heaters since they where thinner denser rubber. So my point is if you change grips be aware of that. Also the I don't believe the factory heated grips can be separated from the heating elements.

I'm installing the factory heated grips this weekend so I'll know more deatails soon.

Quick Question regarding Factory Heated Grips vs Hot Grips:

Every bike I have had has had Hot Grips with the Dial Control.  They have never given me a bit of trouble and I have always been very pleased with the amount of Heat produced.   I have to make a decision soon regarding my FJ and am trying to decide whether to go Factory Heated / Menu System Controlled or stick with Hot Grips. 

I don't really mind the wire, and just flipping my left up to change heat levels is very simple.   So, exclusive of the visible wiring do the Factory Grips:

1.  Get good and hot?  A buddy had Factory Heated Grips on his 2012 FJR and the never seemed to get real hot to me, and
2.  Does having to look down and play with the menu seem overly distracting?

Those are actually my only real concern regarding the Factory Grips.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Every bike I have had has had Hot Grips with the Dial Control.  They have never given me a bit of trouble and I have always been very pleased with the amount of Heat produced.   I have to make a decision soon regarding my FJ and am trying to decide whether to go Factory Heated / Menu System Controlled or stick with Hot Grips. 

I don't really mind the wire, and just flipping my left up to change heat levels is very simple.   So, exclusive of the visible wiring do the Factory Grips:

1.  Get good and hot?  A buddy had Factory Heated Grips on his 2012 FJR and the never seemed to get real hot to me, and

advice would be appreciated.
There are three position for the factory heated grips, and each of these can be set to 10 levels of heat.  10 will burn your hands, 6 is too hot for me even when it is in the 30's.  I have my factory grips set at 2, 3, and 4.  If 4 isn't hot enough, I will stop and change to 5.  Your buddy didn't set the grips for you, so maybe he had them set low like I have set mine and it just wasn't hot enough for you. 
The menu is far enough in front of you (same as speedo) so you can adjust on the go without a  problem.

I like the factory setup a lot.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Supporting Member

advice would be appreciated.
There are three position for the factory heated grips, and each of these can be set to 10 levels of heat.  10 will burn your hands, 6 is too hot for me even when it is in the 30's.  I have my factory grips set at 2, 3, and 4.  If 4 isn't hot enough, I will stop and change to 5.  
I like the factory setup a lot.
Agree with this, I have mine set to the same levels, the factory heated grips get HOT.  Like Red said previously, even in the 30's you wont want them set above 6.  This past winter I did several rides in the mid 30's and between the heated grips and my Tourmaster Synergy heated vest  (again set on low) I was toasty warm.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I have bad circulation in my hands and feet so heated grips are a must for me, usually Oxford grips are the first thing i install on a bike, liked the integrated with the dash set up of the Yamaha grips, but not the price twice as expensive as the Oxfords, i must say that the Yamaha grips are very good, and as others have said they kick out more than enough heat, and the way you can change the heat settings through the dash is the best set up i have seen on OEM grips, Honda could learn a thing or two from Yamaha.

Archived