Heated Vest Plug Instal BMW Style

3banger

Not really much to say here other then show some pics. You can do a search on the part number (PSO-001) from the photo and find one on that electric inter-net thingy pretty quick. I payed about $16 for mine and it's wired directly to the battery with a 7 amp fuse in line. It's also a good port to charge the battery if you go with the direct wiring.

Full_Size_Render.jpgFull_Size_Render.jpgFull_Size_Render_2.jpgFull_Size_Render_2.jpgFull_Size_Render_4.jpgFull_Size_Render_6.jpgIMG_9488.jpg

• 1 month later...
I connected my vest harness to the grip heater connectors. Controls the vest from the display very well. The grip heat is customizable for each setting high, med, low. Connect the vest before turning on ignition for the grip heat to see the load and activate the option.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Thanks for the pics, this is a great idea. My heated jacket uses a coaxial connector. I have a dial controller mounted on the handlebar and then I connect to a wire that's just dangling out from under the seat. I need to figure out something cleaner.

• 1 month later...
I power my old school Widder lectric vest through the BMW style connector. The heat controller Velcros to an old ski goggle strap the goes around my leg. Been doing that way for years. I did like the idea of controlling via the integrated heated grip system but like using it for the factory heated grips even better. Despite the cost I think the OEM heated grips are the way to go; super simple install.

• 9 months later...
Interesting piotrek. Wired to black accessories connector behind dash at moment, but a faff using (keis) controller as it has 3 settings, hot, very hot, extremely hot. Be nice to have a controller with a bit of fine tuning. I have to turn it off and back on when it's just a bit cold, and it's a fiddle as it hangs just inside bottom of overjacket. Did your mock up have a controller in line? Wonder if that causes a problem. 

• Supporting Member
Interesting piotrek. Wired to black accessories connector behind dash at moment, but a faff using (keis) controller as it has 3 settings, hot, very hot, extremely hot. Be nice to have a controller with a bit of fine tuning. I have to turn it off and back on when it's just a bit cold, and it's a fiddle as it hangs just inside bottom of overjacket. Did your mock up have a controller in line? Wonder if that causes a problem. 
I saw only one way to wire the jacket to the MC harness. OE grip heaters are wired in series, so the jacket simply replaces that load. My jacket is rated at 70W, and I've placed a 3A fuse on the harness just in case and it held fine. The ECU is simply not seeing the right load and isn't sourcing the current required. I'm just going to wire my jacket controller to the bike and call it a day. 

I was nice and comfy on way from work yesterday, until I got off the highway... little bit of traffic, sun came out... and by the time I got home I was well done. I much prefer medium rare. :D

Capture.jpg

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

Thanks for the pics, this is a great idea. My heated jacket uses a coaxial connector. I have a dial controller mounted on the handlebar and then I connect to a wire that's just dangling out from under the seat. I need to figure out something cleaner.
Can you do a quick write-up on that process? That sounds pretty amazing to have that ability. 

• Premium Member
Can you do a quick write-up on that process? That sounds pretty amazing to have that ability. 
It's pretty simple really. I have a Warm N Safe Heatroller which uses the coaxial power connectors. I just bought a couple of coax extension cords to run power from the battery up to the handlebar, and then back under the tank to the seat area. A female connector sticks out under the side panel near the seat, and I plug in when I mount up.

I mounted the Heatroller to the handlebar using a plastic bracket from a bicycle reflector. I seem to have a million random plastic clamps from bicycle stuff.

I can post pics when I get home next week.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Sorry, I forgot to post pics of my setup. It's really quite simple.

Heatroller accessible on handlebar:
ySKdps9.jpg

I mounted it using an old bicycle reflector bracket, some sticky-backed Velcro, and a zip tie.
won42dK.jpg

Coax extension cables run back to the seat area for the jacket plug-in. I'd like to have a cleaner setup like what 3banger did.
WwmgJiY.jpg

• Premium Member
One important note about my Heatroller setup: the blinking red LED on the Heatroller is very bright, and the handlebar mount puts it in my peripheral vision while riding.

To minimize distraction, I painted the LED with some nail polish. This dimmed the light sufficiently without totally obscuring it.

Archived