2017 Blue FJ-09 same color as 2016 FJR 1300?

Hey guys first post and I have a question already. I am about to buy blue 2017 and I am trying to check if it is the same color as the 2016 FJR1300.
I think it is but I don't want to order the saddlebags only to discover I made a huge mistake. Really enjoying your forum btw. : )

When I bought my 17, we hung the FJR bags on it to see. (They were trying to sell me on bags)
If I rememeber correctly, they were a little lighter, but still looked very good. All agreed it wasn't a perfect match.

FWIW - I have read 'Galaxy Blue' as the name of the very dark navy paintwork on my 2016 model.   So dark that in some lights (or lack of) it looks black.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Hey guys first post and I have a question already. I am about to buy blue 2017 and I am trying to check if it is the same color as the 2016 FJR1300. I think it is but I don't want to order the saddlebags only to discover I made a huge mistake. Really enjoying your forum btw. : )
Edited to be correct:  Cobalt Blue was used on the 2006 and 2016 FJR's.  The 2005 FJR color was Galaxy Blue, which had a slight purple color to it, cost more too. Galaxy Blue will not match Cobalt Blue.  Try looking for a pair of slightly used (with scratches as all  FJR riders drop their bikes) 05 FJR bags.  You might also look at 2008, 2009 black bags or 2008 dark metalic grey bags as they also fit and look good.  Here is my 15 with 2008 dark met. grey bags, and my friends 15 with 08  black bags.  Buying Used, you can end up paying between $250-550, better than half price.  BTW, my friend paid $250 for his scratched up pair, while I paid $490 for my almost perfect units.    Another thing, there will always be a very slight difference in color when not coming from the same batch.  Don't worry about that as no one will care or even notice. 

P1050625.jpg

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Ok so you are saying they should match and both be cobalt blue? If so that is great news. I am just gonna order new ones and be done with it if they match. If no one knows for sure I will find a 2016 FJR and put the bags on mine to take a picture when I get it. 

Ok so you are saying they should match and both be cobalt blue? If so that is great news. I am just gonna order new ones and be done with it if they match. If no one knows for sure I will find a 2016 FJR and put the bags on mine to take a picture when I get it.  

I think I miss lead you.  I just read that the 2017 FJ-09 is a Galaxy Blue.  That is the color used on the 2005 FJR and hasn't been used since.  Yamaha does not have any left over 05 Galaxy Blue saddlebags.  I looked last year when a deer took out my left side bag on my 05 FJR.  Look for used ones or go to the black bags.  Of course you can always pick up the least expensive and paint them to match.  I did that on a 05 FJR I bought without side bads and it worked for me.  I'm going to edit my other post so folks later on don't get miss lead too.  Sorry for the bad info. Ken

I think I miss lead you.  I just read that the 2017 FJ-09 is a Galaxy Blue.  That is the color used on the 2005 FJR and hasn't been used since.  Yamaha does not have any left over 05 Galaxy Blue saddlebags.  I looked last year when a deer took out my left side bag on my 05 FJR.  Look for used ones or go to the black bags.  Of course you can always pick up the least expensive and paint them to match.  I did that on a 05 FJR I bought without side bads and it worked for me.  I'm going to edit my other post so folks later on don't get miss lead too.  Sorry for the bad info. Ken
Just to add to the confusion, my '16 is officially 'Mistral Grey' (Gray), but the side and rear panels are the aforementioned Galaxy Blue - very dark navy.  The tank is officially Gunmetal, but to my eye a simple straight steel grey (gray), perfectly OK but without that blue tinge one gets in a real gunmetal.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

a few hours of your time you could paint them saddle bags black...the color black goes with the vast majority of the colors on the market...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

a few hours of your time you could paint them saddle bags black...the color black goes with the vast majority of the colors on the market...
Excellent results can be had by using ordinary household gloss paint aerosol cans, available in many colours.   Decent surface preparation is needed to get the paint to adhere properly, and the job can be finished with a few coats of high-gloss clear lacquer.   When painting my lids I kept the paint to the inner line that's formed by the surface shape of each lid: in this way there is no paint to kick and wear and chip when throwing a leg over. 

P1030905.jpg

Wow now I am so confused. : ) So we are saying definitively that the Cobalt Blue used on the FJR is not the same as the blue on the 2017 FJ-09. Right?
Correct.

Well went by the dealer for the definitive comparison today. They are different colors but it is really hard to tell them apart in the photos. The dealer was being really weird about showing me so I didn't get to stare at it for very long. To tell you the truth I couldn't really tell in the direct sunlight.

IMG_3330_2.jpg

FWIW, I can see an obvious difference in the last pic posted - the tank on the bike is a "bluer" shade than the one being held. The hand held tank is a slightly "greener" shade of blue, if you know what I mean, Vern....
-CD-
-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

Archived