Windscreen comparo. MRA vs Ermax!

morkys

Ok folks. I figure I would contribute to this forum so I went and bought no fewer than 3 windscreens to compare. I will keep what I like and sell the one('s) I don't like.

Question. I chose "smoked". I want a dark screen that I can see through. Should I have chosen light black?

1) MRA sport screen vs Ermax Sport screen
2) Ermax tall or touring screen

I hope I like the Ermax tall and one of either of the sport screens. I am not bothering with the Puig screens for now. I could try the Puig sport screen if I have to but I won't likely bother with the Puig touring screen as it sounds like it is a bit big and problematic.

There isn't much riding season left for me but hopefully I will at least get out for a few rides with each screen and be able to give this forum some feedback.
I am 185 LBS and 5 foot 9.5" and I wear 30" inseam pants. I hope to get the screens within the week.

Stay tuned smiley.png

2017 FJ-09 - Yoshimura Y-series Exhaust / MRA Sport Screen / Evotech Rad Guard & Fork Sliders / Custom LED Rear Tail Light / Lowering Links / Mirror Extenders / Low Seat / Tail Tidy / Shogun Swingarm Sliders - Touring mods > Madstad 20" screen (on standby) / SHAD SH36 Hard Cases / SW-Motech Rear Alu-rack - Mods not yet installed > Fender Extender - Mods on the way > MT09 Adventure Pegs / Sargent seats / Knuckle Guard leds / Speedtech Photon Flush Mount LED signals / SW Motech Frame Sliders

I just installed the Puig racing screen in dark smoke, going for a ride in an hour. It is the best looking screen I have seen IMHO. I also have the Puig touring in clear (bottom is smoked) which I love the looks and function of while doing serious highway miles. I'm going to swap between them (5 minutes) depending on my need. Will post a pic and my Puig Racing impressions later today.

I am 5'9" as well.

I had installed ermax touring on my bike. I have to say that it’ s a crap. After two months on the bike (i did not expose the bike to the sun when parked) windshield has small cracks thin like hair , all over around...
And it’ s not only me who face that. So keep away....
My opinion

kdimitris, Where do you live? You've heard of others with this issue?

I will just compare the two sport screens for now. Maybe the Puig racing screen too later. It may make sense to compare the shorter sport screens first. Ultimately though for a touring screen I like what I read about the givi screens. The one I want to try is Out of stock though.
2017 FJ-09 - Yoshimura Y-series Exhaust / MRA Sport Screen / Evotech Rad Guard & Fork Sliders / Custom LED Rear Tail Light / Lowering Links / Mirror Extenders / Low Seat / Tail Tidy / Shogun Swingarm Sliders - Touring mods > Madstad 20" screen (on standby) / SHAD SH36 Hard Cases / SW-Motech Rear Alu-rack - Mods not yet installed > Fender Extender - Mods on the way > MT09 Adventure Pegs / Sargent seats / Knuckle Guard leds / Speedtech Photon Flush Mount LED signals / SW Motech Frame Sliders

kdimitris, Where do you live? You've heard of others with this issue? 
I will just compare the two sport screens for now. Maybe the Puig racing screen too later. It may make sense to compare the shorter sport screens first. Ultimately though for a touring screen I like what I read about the givi screens. The one I want to try is Out of stock though.

I live in Greece.
Maybe small ermax will be better...

No screens have reached me shipping wise so far. Oh well.

For all FJ09 owners out there, I think the better options are:

For small screens the MRA, ermax, puig or zero gravity.
For larger touring screens I think the givi, parabellum or zero gravity.

I haven't seen much feedback about the zero gravity bubble screens, but they look good.

I think that is it for me for this year for riding season. If I get one or both of the screens soon enough and I have a reasonable weather day I will try them out. Otherwise, I will be putting the FJ09 to bed for winter soon.

• 6 months later...
I tried the MRA only and it works ok. I may sell the Ermax.

• 5 months later...
Hard to believe that tiny Puig screen offers any protection from wind or noise or buffeting. But it does look nice.

I've finally accepted the fact that with FJ windscreens, protection is inversely proportional to looks: the uglier the screen the more protection it provides!

cb
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member
Hard to believe that tiny Puig screen offers any protection from wind or noise or buffeting. But it does look nice.

Have you ridden a naked bike?  smooth, clean air.  There are a lot of forum members here that have reported removing the screen all together to remedy the wind noise and buffeting.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I have not. Maybe I should remove my screen and give it a try.

I did feel with the stock screen in low position I was hanging on for dear life in the wind blast above 75 mph.

The upright riding position and wide bars seemed to make me a wind catcher. (I'M 6'2')
cb
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• 3 months later...
On 10/31/2017 at 8:15 AM, morkys said:

Ok folks. I figure I would contribute to this forum so I went and bought no fewer than 3 windscreens to compare. I will keep what I like and sell the one('s) I don't like.

Question. I chose "smoked". I want a dark screen that I can see through. Should I have chosen light black?

1) MRA sport screen vs Ermax Sport screen
2) Ermax tall or touring screen

I hope I like the Ermax tall and one of either of the sport screens. I am not bothering with the Puig screens for now. I could try the Puig sport screen if I have to but I won't likely bother with the Puig touring screen as it sounds like it is a bit big and problematic.

There isn't much riding season left for me but hopefully I will at least get out for a few rides with each screen and be able to give this forum some feedback.
I am 185 LBS and 5 foot 9.5" and I wear 30" inseam pants. I hope to get the screens within the week.

Stay tuned smiley.png

Did you ever got around to trying the Ermax Sport screen? If so, how does it compare to the others?