What size Shad top box riders using for their riding gear

2017 FJ-09I've been using a Bestem T-Box 929 (46 Ltr) for years on a Nina 650 and has been a good, but  tight storage for a winter jacket and riding pants, no helmet. I'm interested in the Shad line of top boxes, and to match up to their SH23 side bags. Their SH46 ltr top box has larger cu in. dimensions than my Bestem box which is supposed to be 46 ltrs. they both cant be 46 ltrs. I went by outside dimensions. My bestem box actually equates to their SH 39 top box. That's fine if my riding gear fits properly, and wont look too big for the total bag setup on the FJ-09.

[span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span]Thanks; [span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span] Howie...   [/span]
This is my bestem 46 ltr box
IMG_20171228_203538243_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171228_203559946_HDR.jpg

SH48... nice quality top case. I am glad I didn't go smaller.
You know, that top box w/ bracket only cost aprox. $71 now. Quality was great. I just want to color match it w/ the side bags and the bike. 
IMG_20171219_171341374_HDR.jpg
Doesn't the SH48 seem over sized to the  FJ esp. if I use them w/ the SH23 side bags ?

...Doesn't the SH48 seem over sized to the  FJ esp. if I use them w/ the SH23 side bags ?
Nope... and I'll be getting the SH23 cases soon, as they'll be better for commuting than SH36... which are great for touring. If I were in the market for a top case today, I'd be buying the expandable SH58X.
I really like the SH58X as well, but hard to spend $400 plus for just the box....

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I really like the SH58X as well, but hard to spend $400 plus for just the box....
Good thing then that I'm not in the market for the case... $400 is indeed steep huh.png , no doubt the expandable feature takes the credit. Great looking case though. 
031811_ACT1.jpg

WOW, that looks gigantic ! It must be nice at a stop though. The price is not really an issue if it's cost effective. I guess the SH46 isn't so big after all.  I think the SH39 was the size of my Bestem box, and was sufficient though. If I order the wrong SHAD box, they keep at least 15% restock fee, and I'd have to pay shipping back. Not Easy choice! 

2017 FJ-09I've been using a Bestem T-Box 929 (46 Ltr) for years on a Nina 650 and has been a good, but  tight storage for a winter jacket and riding pants, no helmet. I'm interested in the Shad line of top boxes, and to match up to their SH23 side bags.                                                                                                                                                                                             Howie...    This is my bestem 46 ltr boxIMG_20171228_203559946_HDR.jpg

I have been using one of these, only it was a J.C. Whitney unit, who doesn't carry them anymore.  This unit is a copy of the 46 liter mono key Givi top box.  I used this box on my FJR for over 10 years and never had any problems.  They do break when you crash but then so do FJR side cases and should be expected.  I only bring that up cause someone once pointed out that they didn't stand up under crashes.  I felt this was too big for the FJ, so anything larger then 46 liter in my opinion is too large.  Mount a rack on top, or just put some hooks on the sides and haul around a cargo net for your jacket.  I also fixed one spare unit I had for my FJR to be used on the FJ.  Picture below:Q4jPlmI.jpg Here is picture of the same box on the FJR:   I think the proportions are better for the FJR, but then again, I think all 50 liter boxes are grotesquely large.  Like big balloons lifting the rear of the bike off the ground.kNPLYO6.jpg

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

20170222_142314.jpg

SH46 that I've had for 5 years  and transfer between steeds

That 46 liter box looks way larger than my bestem box. I know my box doesn't measure up to a SHAD 46 ltr. I'll just need it for a heavy jacket and riding pants; the boots I could put in my expanding tank bag.  Looks like your windscreen is a large unit also. I might go/w Madstad.    

I've got my top box pick to either the SH 46 or the SH45. The sh45 is a close match of cu. in. of what I'd store in it, and may look more sporty esp. w/ the sh23 side bags than the sh46 even though bigger is better. 
[span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span]Howie...

shad58x for me.... had before a givi v47nnt. the expendable capability is wonderful

MODS: custom remapped 133 wheel power by T.R.E. / K&P WORKSHOP,  WOOLICH RACING + race tools package, reprofiled cams,  ported cylinder head,  higher compression, bored throttle bodies, ape cam tensioner,  OHLINS FGK237 cartridge & YA 535,  GPR V4, SKF Fork seals,  BREMBO RCS 19 Corta Rossa with SC pads, HEALTECH shift light PRO, AKRAPOVIC racing carbon exhaust, slipper clutch + Barnett clutch springs, JT Sprockets + JVMX 525 black 112 links chain, oil temp gauge drain plug, air filter DNA + Modded airbox, PIRELLI ROSSO CORSA II, YAMAHA LED plus blinkers, antitheft alarm scorpio 900i + perimeter sensor + kill engine module, CELLULAR INTERPHONE led slim fog lights with yamaha oem mounting bracket, YAMAHA heated grips and more....

Archived