Yamaha OEM Traction control

Seriously some people can wheelie, most can't! If you don't know how to wheelie by the time you purchase this bike. Don't bother, it may only end up in heart break. Just ride to your ability. I'm one of the ones that can, wheelie, not by luck, but by lots of practice when I was a teenager. And a lot of crashes also. Ride smart and enjoy yourself

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I was thinking about this riding my WR the other day. What happens to an FJ if you hit sand mid corner with steady throttle or rolling on throttle?

Without TCS with a minor slide, I just steer into the skid and reset into the corner. In slow and maintain a safety cushion to do this (Reg Pridmore riding school). Seems like TCS should compliment this.

With a bad rear wheel slide (only happened maybe twice on the road in 100k miles) my reaction has always been to apply throttle, spin up the back and throttle steer (think dirt bike). On those bad slides, would I need to change technique on a bike with TCS?

I was thinking about this riding my WR the other day. What happens to an FJ if you hit sand mid corner with steady throttle or rolling on throttle?  
Without TCS with a minor slide, I just steer into the skid and reset into the corner. In slow and maintain a safety cushion to do this (Reg Pridmore riding school). Seems like TCS should compliment this.

With a bad rear wheel slide (only happened maybe twice on the road in 100k miles) my reaction has always been to apply throttle, spin up the back and throttle steer (think dirt bike). On those bad slides, would I need to change technique on a bike with TCS?

I don't think changing technique would help. The TCS won't allow the rear wheel to slip, as in the micro-second it detects rear wheel speed which is faster than front wheel speed - it will cut the throttle - hence, you won't be able to spin the back and throttle steer like you are used to doing.

Unless you switch it off. :)

The fact that the FJ 09 has TCS in the first place - is awesome. But because of the price point, it won't be as sophisticated as the system on the R1M, for example.

-skip

• Premium Member

The fact that the FJ 09 has TCS in the first place - is awesome. But because of the price point, it won't be as sophisticated as the system on the R1M, for example.

-skip

Yamaha could easily make the system more sophisticated. On the Super Tenere (and probably the FJR1300) the TCS is switchable between three settings: off, standard and nanny. It is only software that controls this and it would be easy for Yamaha to add the software routines to the Tracer/FJ09. The hardware is already in place and is pretty simple technology providing pulses to the ECU. If the pulses from each wheel go out of sync, either the ABS or TCS is triggered. The level of sensitivity is determined by the software instructions running in the ECU. As others have stated in other threads, there are a number of technologies on the FJR/XT1200 that could be easily transferred to the FJ/Tracer as they share components: these are likely to be included in a 2 year model refresh to give the marketing men some meat to persuade us to upgrade...

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Depends. If they simply interface with the ECU and change the fuel injector duration like most programmers,, then no.

If they reflash the stock ECU, or replace the stock ECU with their own unit - then it's possible to add additional TCS programs.

-Skip

• 11 months later...
So I assume Im not the only one new to Yamaha's OEM traction control on a production motorcycle.  We have survived without it on our last couple bikes.  I'm impressed with its control keeping the front wheel on the ground full throttle through the first few gears.  I've rode road and track rain or shine, lightening, hail (without a helmet) and even snow.  I'm intriged by yet skeptical of hammering the throttle out of a wet corner, knowing that on any non TCS bike Im going to low side out.  Has anyone put this particular models TCS through either deliberate or unintentional cornering control?
Just curious now that this model has been our for a year or so now if anyone uses the Traction control system for cornering control intentionally? 

Archived