Yamaha OEM Traction control

So I assume Im not the only one new to Yamaha's OEM traction control on a production motorcycle.  We have survived without it on our last couple bikes.  I'm impressed with its control keeping the front wheel on the ground full throttle through the first few gears.  I've rode road and track rain or shine, lightening, hail (without a helmet) and even snow.  I'm intriged by yet skeptical of hammering the throttle out of a wet corner, knowing that on any non TCS bike Im going to low side out.  Has anyone put this particular models TCS through either deliberate or unintentional cornering control?

Would you please share your thoughts on greater detail concerning the anti-wheelie control?  I've watched one video where the rider is wheelieing with TC on, and it seems pretty... blocky.  The wheel comes up and then back down, and then up, and then back down.  Is that what it feels like for you, while cracking the gas in gear 1, 2 or 3?  Or does it doa better job than that, and just float the wheel as you accelerate?

• Premium Member
So I assume Im not the only one new to Yamaha's OEM traction control on a production motorcycle.  We have survived without it on our last couple bikes.  I'm impressed with its control keeping the front wheel on the ground full throttle through the first few gears.  I've rode road and track rain or shine, lightening, hail (without a helmet) and even snow.  I'm intriged by yet skeptical of hammering the throttle out of a wet corner, knowing that on any non TCS bike Im going to low side out.  Has anyone put this particular models TCS through either deliberate or unintentional cornering control?
Sounds like you are an experienced sportbike rider. I would twist the throttle more and more in a turn until you feel an undesirable effect. Let us know how it goes, but please, don't overdue it. I find I can get on the throttle real fast after apex and have not felt it slide yet, but I am no racer.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

This is my first TCS bike and I do none of that hammering the throttle other than in the straights.  Old habbits are hard to break.  I would say that one would be smart to only experience the TCS when it occurs and continue to ride with the control you know.  I did this when I first got abs, it was only after about a year, and having not experienced the abs until I started practicing  maximum braking.  The TCS is kind of fun to hammer the trottle and have the the front climb and drop a couple times in each gear.  If you are the first, please post up your hammering experieces coming out of corners.  I will wait for summer and warm roads to start any new pushing the limits of the bike.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

I would assume it would be less an issue in 2nd or 3rd. The vid I think being referred to is Cageron2wheels and he very deliberately hammered it in 1st gear to see how upset it got.
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

Death wish? If I engage traction control exiting a curve it will most certainly be unintentional. My primary bike riding is in the twisties but I don't care what anybody says...losing the back end on acceleration out of a hairpin is scary! Traction control is one the important features that attracted me to the FJ.

I intended for it to be a hairy subject! Pun intended. I believe Yamahas system is a bit more primitive only using 2 wheel speed sensors vs BMW or Aprilla's TC where they also use dual accelerometers and dual gyros with their TC systems. Im not seeing either of those sensors in the FJ's wiring schematic, outside of the lean angle sensor which is only an off or on switch to stop the engine in the event of a turnover. Im sure the ECU uses TPS, RPM, gear position and both wheel speed sensors in determining torque modulation but that is purely speculation. Also I dont intend to be the test dummy for this system on cornering control, I was hoping that someone who has experienced this on an FJ or even another motorcycle would share.

I can try to explain in detail of how the TC feels to me in a straight line overpower simulation. The term "blocky" above would be a good description if you were blatently trying to overpower the bike, such as 100% throttle. The duration of blockiness is dependant on how much throttle is applied. For example If I hammer the throttle as fast as I can the wheel may initially come up around 3 or 4 inches and the blockiness will have a longer more noticable duration since the inital accelleration has brought the front wheel up higher, thus taking longer for the front wheel to come down to pick up the front wheel speed sensor to resume normal operation. If I were to accelerate only hard enough to only pick the wheel up around a half inch, it would return faster and be less blocky and the TC would feel smoother.

This may be a really dub question, but for someone who doesnt know how to wheelie but wants to, would using the tcs on this bike be a good start to feel how things are before going full retard and turning the tcs off and nailing it in A mode?

I agree with redfjniner. This is my second bike with TCS. My Triumph Explorer had it also. I found that it prohibited most wheel spin coming out of the corner.
It change the way I ride a little. I found I might as well use the next gear up for the same corner. It did prolong tire life somewhat.
Just look at TCS as what it is, a safety measure. It can fail also if the bike is laid over too far in the corner. That is where the Gyros help.
My advice ride like you always have and consider you are safer, not safe, from some of the dangers the out there.

Default, the best way to learn how to wheelie is to buy a cheap dirt bike and find a field. New bikes cost a little too much to put back together!
Nailing it with the TCS won't be much fun, better switching it off and giving it progressively more gas until you feel when the front wants to lift (at your own pearl) :)

Amen to that! I have taught alot of people to ride on Dirtbikes first. YOu learn what to do when you lose traction, balance, and yes, wheelies!
Plus, dirt is just more fun!

Default, the best way to learn how to wheelie is to buy a cheap dirt bike and find a field. New bikes cost a little too much to put back together! Nailing it with the TCS won't be much fun, better switching it off and giving it progressively more gas until you feel when the front wants to lift (at your own pearl) :)

• 4 weeks later...
Tried a hard pull on using a well maintained freeway ramp in 2d with TCS on in STD mode and wheel floated for a few heartbeats but did not seem to lose complete contact with the ground.  I have a shifting problem now - one of the recall bikes, so no further fun until that's dealt with.  Have not gotten crazy with the TCS off yet.  That may turn out to be a track day thing. 
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

I've never owned a bike with traction control, so take my comments for what they are worth.

Only one time on the street (track is a different story) have I ever felt the rear tire spin. I entered a shaded corner too hot (my fault for not slowing before the turn) and the road was covered with wet leaves. I was riding an FJR1300 which is a big heavy pig. The rear slid out, then caught....I flew out of the seat, but hung on and managed to get it back in line without going down. Would traction control have saved me? I don't know?

On the track I've spun the rear on corner exits, but most of the time I did it on purpose (except once at 100+mph on a big sweeper...scared the doo-doo out of me!).

As has been mentioned, I would ride using my right hand as my traction control and not put too much confidence in the electronics. I never want to reach a point where my skill diminishes due to rider aids. I like them as a safety net, but I don't want them otherwise. ABS is a good example. I've owned several bikes with ABS, and it's kicked in a few times when I was braking hard. Nice to know it's there, but my last 4 bikes have not had ABS, TCS, or anything....and I've been lucky enough to keep the shiny side up.

I guess I'm becoming boring in my old age, but I have reached a point of maturity where the thought of crashing, destroying my bike, putting me in the hospital, and draining my bank account outweigh the fun of wheelies, dragging knees, and leaving darkies coming out of the corners. I've been VERY VERY lucky over the years to not wind up in the hospital more than I've been there. I'm not ready for a Goldwing (been there, done that...not my thing) or giving up riding, I still like to go fast and have fun. But I've developed this lovely little sense of "this is stupid" that slows me down just at the right time. Much better than any electronic aids.

Mid corner TCS is interesting.
2nd gear WOT left hander.
Front skims the road surface, as soon as the TCS notices and pulses the acceleration.
You can feel the front tyre bouncing/shaking/slapping, but I think since the suspension tweaking I did it's less noticeable.
Definitely no spin though, I can't even roostertail on the firetrails.

Archived