Oil Changes

tex929rr

So I changed the oil this morning on three bikes - my FJ gets ridden enough that I change based on mileage, but the other three sit in the garage enough to need annual oil changes.

Man, I’m going to find that engineer that decided it was OK to put that oil filter inside that Gordian knot of header pipes on my R1. We need to talk.

Actually, the oil on the header pipes is a problem, but one I can deal with. It’s trying to fish the filter out after it’s off more than anything else.

It’s strange - ease of maintenance (for me) peaked with my 93 900RR. Four dzus fasteners dropped off the belly pan and oil changes were a snap. You could hook up carb gauges without taking off the tank, and the fairing fasteners all went into hard points on different brackets. It’s nice how newer fairing parts attach to each other but often it’s much more of a pain to take body parts on and off.

I just know that Yamaha engineer is in a bar drinking and laughing about it.

• Premium Member
On my Triumph TT600 it wasn't necessary to remove any fairings at all for oil changes. There was a brilliant little notch in the belly that gave access to the drain plug, and the oil filter came out through the headers. I don't know why every fully faired bike can't be designed that way.

On my Triumph TT600 it wasn't necessary to remove any fairings at all for oil changes. There was a brilliant little notch in the belly that gave access to the drain plug, and the oil filter came out through the headers. I don't know why every fully faired bike can't be designed that way.
I have read a story that Soichro Honda walked into a design lab at Honda and picked up a prototype cylinder head that would be a maintenance nightmare and threw it at one of the engineers. 

Archived