12v Cigarette Lighter Socket Splitter Dual USB Charger

howie333

2017 FJ-09I'm looking on E-Bay for a USB charger for my cell phone either using the plug in accessory cigarette lighter plug, or exchange it for a wire in type w/ dual inputs. The problem is they all are FAST chargers, and seem to overheat my cell phone. Not good! I found one that has a 1A and 2.1A. Would that make a difference ? I don't have that problem w/ a home plug-in charger. Is there a solution? Also; will a 2A accessory fuse hold for these chargers?

[span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span]Thanks;
                                                                                                                                 Howie... 

I have replaced my accessory cigarette lighter for a dual USB, with a voltmeter display between the two ports. ebay is awash with these so they’re easy to find. They work fine with the fuse and wiring that was originally there for the socket and I charge my phone with the higher ampage socket with no problems, even when the phone is tucked away in my tank bag.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Thanks for replies.Is it safe to wire these usb sockets to a live fused circuit to charge phone or  would that LED light on the charger stay lit continuously ? If so it would have to stay on the switched accessory circuit. 
[span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span]Howie...

I'd be worried by the 2.1A output being a fast charger. I had overheating problems w/ them. There is a 1A/2.1A 5W version that goes in place of the Accessory jack I might use on Amazon. [span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span]Howie..

I'd be worried by the 2.1A output being a fast charger. I had overheating problems w/ them. There is a 1A/2.1A 5W version that goes in place of the Accessory jack I might use on Amazon. [span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span]Howie..

I did a search and found accessory outlet USB chargers @ Target that have dual outputs. 2.1A and 1A, and found one unit just 1A.  [span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span]Howie.

• Premium Member
Most 2.1 amp "smart" chargers will only provide what the load demands, usually well under 1 amp for the older 1 amp charge phones. I've tested several including the dual 2.1 amp with LED volt meter between referenced with an in-line USB volt/amp meter/timer, and if your cell is overheating you likely have an unrelated problem with it's battery.

https://www.ebay.com/i/112034004915?chn=ps

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Cigarette-12V-Dual-USB-Lighter-Socket-Splitter-Charger-Power-Adapter-Outlet-/401127261936

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-USB-Charger-Voltage-Current-Meter-Mobile-Battery-Tester-Power-Detector-2017/222555988412?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D48419%26meid%3D11e9acd4d3524fa4b6baaef6e9bbd249%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D232441957931%26itm%3D222555988412&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Archived