Hello Folks - New here to the forum

dustyr

I have been riding for 42 years.  Well over 1.6 million miles with over 1 million on BMWs   - I no longer care to deal with BMW any more.  Horrible dealer service, horrible customer service, bikes purposely damaged, techs that cannot read and the list goes on and on.   Plus bikes that fail - 7 final drives, 8 water pumps, 3 transmission, an engine, killer fuel pumps that seize and the list goes on and on.  

I started with an 250 dirt bike I bought for $500 and moved up to a CB750 Nighthawk and a Suzuki 650 and then onto BMWs.  I still have my R100RS with over 200K miles on the clock.  Over the years I have had numerous other BMWs and currently have 5 of them. I have ridden in all 50 states and several other countries to include Africa, Europe, and South America.  I have done numerous IronButt events to including the big  event  11 days 11,000 miles.   

I am a Mechanical Engineer and recently retired after 33 years with the Army and now want to go full time RVing with my Toy Hauler.

I have looked at other bikes and the Tracer is the 1st one that I am excited about.  The size is right and there are dealerships more available then BMW.  So I am in the research stage

I looked at the Tracer 900  during Bike week in Daytona and really liked what I saw and I also noticed after market items for the bike seem to be available.  

Thank you for the band width

• Premium Member
Welcome to the forum, there's a veritable cornucopia of information on this site regarding the FJ-09/MT-09.

Not sure if you've had an opportunity to ride one yet, if you get the chance I think you'll enjoy the ride. The triple is a pure joy with plenty of power and a nice, linear power curve and ample low-end torque that makes it a blast at any speed.

I cannot imagine 11,000 miles in 11 days... Good gravy. My hat is off to you.
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• Premium Member
Welcome to the forum.  I'm with Trambo on the above. 
I did 3 350ish miles in a row once. I whined like a bitch the whole time. :)

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
I did 3 350ish miles in a row once. I whined like a bitch the whole time. smiley.png

LOL, have we ridden together? :D
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• Premium Member
I did 3 350ish miles in a row once. I whined like a bitch the whole time. smiley.png

LOL, have we ridden together? grin.png
Pippin is me on the road. Yes I'm that guy.... Lol 

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
Welcome! In what year did you ride the IBR? I've done a little LD riding over the years too. I've been a semi-regular in the Cal24 Rally and have done a couple others, too.

Thus far I've only done a single 1000-mile day on the FJ but it was perfect. This platform offers the same upright riding position of a larger sport tourer, but is considerably lighter. If your long days involve anything more twisty than I-70 across Kansas, you'll find that a lighter bike like the FJ/Tracer actually reduces fatigue.

The new Tracer GT should be an even better LD mount with the factory cruise control. It'll probably still need seat and windshield upgrades, but those are easy enough.

Welcome to the ride. Also a former (multiple) Beemer rider - last year switched to a '17 FJ09. Dropped 125lbs & only lost some low end torque from the cam-head boxer. Pleased, would be an understatement. Took some grief from the local Beemer riders, but... life is.
Wanted something lighter for an old guy - doesn't have the road presence of a big GS, but, probably not making too many more runs to either coast. Added an Excel throttle control, some Givi racks, Ortlieb soft bags, Stebel horn & good lights. Reinstalled the Garmin & Excel mount just because. Forgot, at 3,500 mi, decided oem seat was not it. Had a BMS/Rocky seat on the GS's - went for a Sargent this time. Not quite the same - will do for now. Life is good - ride well.

Archived