Battery Killer

Yes, I'm providing instructions to test the charging system. My R/R recently failed on my trackbike so that's what fresh on my mind. 1moreroad is checking for static draw, also very important to check out.

Best wishes for your mother.

'15 FJ09

I did a quick check before heading out last night. With the bike not running the meter read 13.2 with it running it read 14.2, when I revved it up it pretty much stayed at 14.2-14.3. That was all I had time for. It did start well. Thanks for the best wishes, she's doing much better.

Sounds like the charging system is functioning properly. Next check the static draw as 1moreroad described.

Strange - I can’t see that post anymore, can you?

Anyway, parasitic draw should be done in the 10a position first, before moving to the mA position - you’ll save some fuses that way if the draw is large.

-Skip

• Premium Member
I did a quick check before heading out last night. With the bike not running the meter read 13.2 with it running it read 14.2, when I revved it up it pretty much stayed at 14.2-14.3. That was all I had time for. It did start well. Thanks for the best wishes, she's doing much better.
Disconnect the battery and check voltage since you have to connect the ammeter in line anyway.  If it's higher than 13.2 floating (disconnected from the bike), then you probably have a parasitic draw. 
Skipper is right - start with 10A (I said mA because that is what I expect the draw to be in the mA range if there is a draw).

Archived