Battery Killer

I don't know what's happening but I installed  my 3rd battery yesterday in my 2015 FJ09. After the first one that lasted a little over a year I put it on a battery tender and a  little over a year again it failed. I had a Suzuki V-strom for 9 years and finally after 8 years I got nervous enough to replace it, even though it was still working fine. I hope it is bad luck and the trend doesn't continue.

• Premium Member
 I don't know what's happening but I installed  my 3rd battery yesterday in my 2015 FJ09. After the first one that lasted a little over a year I put it on a battery tender and a  little over a year again it failed. I had a Suzuki V-strom for 9 years and finally after 8 years I got nervous enough to replace it, even though it was still working fine. I hope it is bad luck and the trend doesn't continue.
Have you checked it for parasitic draw?
BLB

No I haven't checked, its beyond my abilities. Being on a battery tender wouldn't that keep a battery healthy even if something is drawing it down. I've leaving it off the tender for a few days and seeing if it will start, that should tell me something.

• Premium Member
No I haven't checked, its beyond my abilities. Being on a battery tender wouldn't that keep a battery healthy even if something is drawing it down. I've leaving it off the tender for a few days and seeing if it will start, that should tell me something.
Being on a tender should keep a good battery healthy even with a slight draw as long as everything else is in order. Where are you getting your batteries from and have you tested the voltage on them when charged up.
BLB

I bought the latest battery at batteries plus and the battery was run down when they checked it. I had ridden the day before and put it on the tender overnight and the next day it cranked slow for a few seconds and that was it. The light on the tender showed green. It had done this same thing twice before.

By this: https://www.amazon.com/AstroAI-Digital-Multimeter-Voltage-Tester/dp/B01ISAMUA6

Then when it comes in, we'll help you diagnose. If this were a mechanical issue, we'd ask for pictures. But this is electrical, so a multimeter is our best bet. Unless your tongue is very carefully calibrated...

'15 FJ09

1. In the same fashion you checked a AA battery voltage, check the voltage on your FJ battery. Either write that number down or remember it.

2. Set the multimeter down and start your bike

3. Check FJ battery voltage while the bike is running. Compare that voltage with the voltage acquired in step 1.

4. Rev the bike while measuring the voltage. Watch the multimeter and see how high the voltage gets. An extra pair of hands help, but not necessarily required.

5. Post your results.

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member
Measure battery voltage with and without the battery hooked up to the bike. Lower voltage hooked up implies current draw.

Can also measure current draw with probes inline with the battery while bike is off. Set to milliamps when the bike is OFF.

I think Koth is trying to check your charging system, too.

FWIW my battery got hard to crank at about 2.5 years unfortunately most of my rides are very, very short errands in a variety of ambient temperatures from freezing to 100. Battery was replaced just shy of 3 years.

Archived