Cam Chain Tensioner was installed incorrectly... Damage?

Hey everyone.

I had my cam chain tensioner replaced a week ago due to the recall.  I proceeded to ride my bike for about 15 minutes and parked it in the garage.  Didn't notice any issues.  Today (week later, I ride it down to a dealer that's open to slap some new tires on.  When I get there, I noticed a decent amount of oil all long the kickstand, oil pan and block.

Almost instantly, the tech said the tensioner is installed upside down.  The red dot is at the bottom and mentioned it should be at the top.  They also discovered there was no gasket and one of the bolts was stripped and lose.

I asked them to make notes so I can get the dealer that originally performed the recall to reimburse me.  If they don't, not a big deal, but hoping I can get my $60 back (cheap!).  With that said, could the tensioner being installed upside down cause any harm while it was in there for say 75 miles?  Guy at the shop said he doens't think so, but thought I'd ask you gents.  Thanks!

I'm pretty sure mine had the mark on the bottom.. there is a thread with step by step instructions for the install on the forum.

I'm no expert but I think the only issue that may come from the tensioner being installed upside down is probably oil flow to the tensioner itself. The main mechanism is a spring and ratchet system. If you weren't hearing the chain slapping, then riding it that short amount of time probably didn't cause any damage. It's possible the chain had too much tension on it, but there again you only rode it for a short amount of time so damage to the guides would hopefully be minimal if any.

Just my 2 cents. There are others on the forum that are more technically inclined than I.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Now i'm panicked because I'm going on a 1500 ride in 2 days. If orientation matters, 2 dealers messed up the install. I see the service bulletin shows the red dot at the bottom, but it doens't say anything about orientation that I can see.

The only time the TSB mentions orientation is for kit #1 (there are 2 kits). It says the ring gap should face the bottom of the bike. Do you know which kit was installed. Compare your VIN to the TSB in the thread and determine which kit was installed (or should have been installed). Kit 2 the orientation doesn't matter.

The orientation of the cam chain tensioner would have no effect on the oil leak you experienced... I find it hard to believe that the tech would know whether or not the cam chain tensioner is installed incorrectly without pulling the tensioner out.

Also, the TSB never mentions pulling any of the covers off beyond the crankshaft end cover and the timing mark access bolt. Neither of which require a gasket, shouldn't cause much of an oil leak, and would be obvious if they were leaking.

Mine was kit 1 and the dot was towards the bottom of the bike.

Fayetteville, GA, USA

After inspecting my tensioner (the revised unit which I just removed to install a manual tensioner) I agree with @piotrek that it is completely symmetrical. Therefore it seems orientation should have no effect on the operation of the tensioner.

The mention of the ring gap is in reference to the small plastic ring/collar that is on the tensioner body.

I find it hard to believe that the tech would have know whether or not the tensioner had been installed incorrectly without pulling the tensioner out.

Doesn't explain the BS oil leak and stripped out screw, but as far as the cam tensioner I think you're ok... but I'm just a random guy on the internet so do what you will with that information.

Fayetteville, GA, USA

....Doesn't explain the BS oil leak and stripped out screw, but as far as the cam tensioner I think you're ok... 
I think he might be referring to the tensioner there... i.e. the gasket was missing, screw was loose, and oil leaked out and down the block etc. Just needs to re-install the unit with a gasket and proper bolts. Better hope the threads in the block are still good.
You may be right... but that's a long way for oil to travel to get from timing chain tensioner to the side stand

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Hey guys.

I will call Yamaha corp tomorrow to see if they can answer and then run to the shop (an hour away) to have them rotate if needed. However I think corp won't have a reasonable answer for me. Just a hunch. And I think regardless I will feel uncomfortable as both shops botched the job. Additionally, 2 years back, another shop also messed up a previous recall as well.

Are you questioning whether the CCT caused the oil leak? It seemed like the obvious issue to me, but I'm honestly not familiar with CCT's. The tech did spot it before I even mentioned the recall and that it was recently replaced.

I think he also said it was incorrectly installed based on the location of the dot, not actually removing the device. I would imagine Yamaha places the dot on a specific orientation but someone says it's symmetrical.

Lets add to the awesomeness of the mystery here. I just drove over to my dads to check on his FJ which is also a Kit 1. Dealer 1 installed mine with the dot on the bottom. Dealer 2 said it should be on top. I check my dads, it's on the top. Therefore, dealer 1 installed 2 bikes with one up and one down.

I'll be on the road in 36 hours so hoping I can get this squared away. I appreciate all the input and help gents. Let me know if you have any other thoughts.

Upside down is fine. Its just a spring ratchet system that's self tensioning. Only downside of possibly being upside down is not mating on the gasket surface and leaking oil. If there is no gasket on that tensioner it WILL leak regardless of orientation.

Get everything corrected before you head out and your bike will be okay.

'15 FJ09

After inspecting my tensioner (the revised unit which I just removed to install a manual tensioner) I agree with @piotrek that it is completely symmetrical. Therefore it seems orientation should have no effect on the operation of the tensioner. 
The mention of the ring gap is in reference to the small plastic ring/collar that is on the tensioner body.

*Snip*

This is the only thing to worry about.
As mentioned, the ring is supposed to be installed with the split area facing DOWN.
Otherwise the tensioner can go either direction as long as it mates with the cylinder mounting surface and gasket correctly.

Those 2 screws have a TON of patch lock on them from the factory, and get marred up very easily when removed. Yamaha doesn’t give you new screws in the kit. (!)

May want to also check and see if the RH rear valve cover has a funny looking washer under the bolt head.

-Skip

I think he might be referring to the tensioner there... i.e. the gasket was missing, screw was loose, and oil leaked out and down the block etc. Just needs to re-install the unit with a gasket and proper bolts. Better hope the threads in the block are still good.
You may be right... but that's a long way for oil to travel to get from timing chain tensioner to the side stand

Wind does some strange things to a leak.....

-Skip

maybe the install directions should call for applying localized heat to the casting near the bolt holes to soften the locking compound? I always chase threads with a re-tap die on bolt that had compound on them. Assuming the hole isn't open to the engine galley, i would do the same (tap) to the block.

*Snip*

This is the only thing to worry about.
As mentioned, the ring is supposed to be installed with the split area facing DOWN.
Otherwise the tensioner can go either direction as long as it mates with the cylinder mounting surface and gasket correctly.

Those 2 screws have a TON of patch lock on them from the factory, and get marred up very easily when removed. Yamaha doesn’t give you new screws in the kit. (!)

May want to also check and see if the RH rear valve cover has a funny looking washer under the bolt head.

-Skip

Yea, this is my fear as well as technically the SB says it should be faced down. I'm assuming it's based on the dot location. Does the "cap" of the CCT rotate freely so the dot could be top and bottom but the split area still facing downward?  I see white dots all over google images in either direction (because orientation doens't matter) but no red dots.  Nothing like a last minute worry right? :) 

Archived