15 plate riders. Post your views.

so I went to dealer to assess the damage to the bike and it looks like only scratch on the lamp and carbon like fairing next to lamp. Happy days! While at dealer I asked to adjust free play on throttle and it is much better. The lateral movement is the same, but it doesn't bother me anymore as it used to when lateral and twist was free playing.

For those who want to do this adjustment themselves, you need to follow throttle cable until you find the rubber protection. Slide it and you will see adjustment piece. You need to unscrew counter screw and then turn the other screw left so the outer shell of throttle cable increases in size.

It was such a nice weather today in UK! 15 degrees and spent about 2 hours on Tracer. I wish I could do more, but Saturday chores called me. At least I completed the day with positive results:

a) Tracer inspected and in good condition.
b) My R1200GS is clean again after months of riding in crappy conditions - ACF50 spared it from corrosion at least and is now ready for new Home. I hope more people will call to buy it now :) Took it for quick spin to local shop to replenish cloths, chamois and Muck-off. I used the whole 1L bottle on it today, but result surprised me!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good news on the damage front.

I've started to notice the play in the throttle now, seems to have got worse the more miles I've done - is very disconcerting over bumps :(

Pity I didn't think to mention it yesterday when it was in for the first service.

Good news on the damage front. 

I've started to notice the play in the throttle now, seems to have got worse the more miles I've done - is very disconcerting over bumps :(

Pity I didn't think to mention it yesterday when it was in for the first service.

Have you tried to adjust it yourself as per my instructions? My throttle is extra sharp now! This is for roll play, as lateral play cannot be adjusted, but it is no longer bugging me anymore.

My Tracer passed 500 miles this weekend. I went with guys ( who I met last year on organised tour to Alps) for a ride in Hertforshdire and Suffolk - 280 miles rolle on wheels in 2 days. I will be booking first service tomorrow and I wonder home much you guys paid for it or how much does it cost in your area?

• Premium Member
I'll find out the 1st service cost on 21st March as I'm on 520 miles now.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I was quoted £60 flat rate for labour then the oil and filter extra. I don't know if Yamaha UK pegged it at £60 or 1 hours' labour at usual rates.
I had mine done in the Netherlands, where it was €55 plus the consumables, their normal rate is €70 per hour - not that this will help you at all but mine came to £70.

• Premium Member
If you had the 1st service done in the UK then the one hour labour is not charged as it is included in the purchase price of the bike. You should only pay for the consumables. This applies at any UK dealer. As you had the service done overseas then you would pay the labour as the Dutch dealer wouldn't be able to claim the labour back from Yamaha UK.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

That changed at the end of January, no more free first service in the UK.
The dealer told me about it when I collected the bike, have read it somewhere, but can't remember now if it was in the service booklet or online. If I find a link, I'll post it here

That changed at the end of January, no more free first service in the UK. The dealer told me about it when I collected the bike, have read it somewhere, but can't remember now if it was in the service booklet or online. If I find a link, I'll post it here

First service at my deal is completely free must be one of the better ones

Did you place your order in January? I seem to remember the doc saying purchases up to the end of Jan include the free service, after that it's chargeable. Maybe I've had one pulled over on me, ah well they didn't profit out of me anyway. Knowing that I was going to get charged, I didn't mind paying for it in another country - in fact not being able to have it serviced there would have been a show stopper for my travelling.

• Premium Member
I think you either misremember or were misled, Steve.

This is the letter my dealer included in my documentation

I am inclined to forget or muddle things, but usually not when it comes to money ;)

Pretty sure now it was detailed in a letter from the dealer similar to yours @wessie, I'll take a look tonight.

The dealer spelt it out to me that I would have to pay for the service - apologies for passing on incorrect information, it seems not all dealers are doing the same. @michaelb, were you also told you'd have to pay for the service?

On a slightly up side, I have been able to cancel the Givi rails but not the rack - just purchased from the Italian site.
Yamaha have no delivery date for the SatNav bracket nor the pannier rails and panniers, the dealer told me how peeved off they are with the manufacturer for not being able to supply.

• Premium Member
Tyres, specifically the Dunlop D222 OE fitment to my Tracer.

I have now tested them in all conditions apart from summer temperatures.

That was some wintry storm I passed through in the Cotswolds on the Cirencester to Cheltenham road. This is one of my favourite roads, very twisty, undulating and very fast in places. My curiosity about wet weather grip has been discharged. There is plenty of grip in heavy rain even when it is solid hail. The roads were quite muddy in places from farm vehicles but again, no worries with grip.

I tested the brakes in wet conditions and from 70mph there was a lot of grip from brakes & tyres and surprisingly little fork dive, even without loading the rear brake. I didn't manage to get the ABS to trigger and I think you would have to be on a pretty slippery surface before this happened in hard but normal braking.

I'm not sure why some people have criticised these tyres, unless of course, after some mileage, they wear in a way that makes them horrible.

I am inclined to forget or muddle things, but usually not when it comes to money ;) 
Pretty sure now it was detailed in a letter from the dealer similar to yours @wessie, I'll take a look tonight.

The dealer spelt it out to me that I would have to pay for the service - apologies for passing on incorrect information, it seems not all dealers are doing the same. @michaelb, were you also told you'd have to pay for the service?

On a slightly up side, I have been able to cancel the Givi rails but not the rack - just purchased from the Italian site.
Yamaha have no delivery date for the SatNav bracket nor the pannier rails and panniers, the dealer told me how peeved off they are with the manufacturer for not being able to supply.

Steve you are correct. My dealer told me the same thing and even crossed out free service from service book!

Archived