Wiring single LEDs

builderbob

That looks great @builderbob, really neat. How did you make the lexan bases and how are they held onto the fairing?

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member
That looks great @builderbob , really neat. How did you make the lexan bases and how are they held onto the fairing?
Thank you.  I'll post up a little more detail when I do the other side.  In the meantime, I started with a 1/2" lexan sheet and used a hole saw on a drill press to cut out the blanks.  Had a machine shop turn them down to the final dimensions.  Then, I inserted the LEDs that I had pre-wired into holes drilled into the bases.  Used 3M trim tape to hold them onto the fairing. 
As I said, I'll try to post up some better detail with pictures when I do the other side.  I'll also comment on some things that I'd do differently if I were to do this again.

• Premium Member
Well, my first attempt at wiring the LEDs & resistor didn't hold up to being bent to fit in the small space in the fairing panel, so I had to wire up some PCBs. These should work much better. Once they both were made, I dipped them in polyurethane to protect them from water intrusion.

These didn't hold up:

LEDs%202.jpg

PCBs are about 1" x 1.25".  Have to remember not to drink coffee before doing something like this again.  It was all I could do to keep my hands steady enough to make these tedious little solder connections.

PCB%201.jpg

PCB%202.jpg

Success!

PCB%203.jpg

Hope to get the bike back together today!

Archived