Replacing my Shad top Case lock so it matches my Side bags

• Premium Member
Seemed like it would be pretty straight forward, but it's not!

I have the lock assembly from Shad, I just need to figure out how to get the old one out and the new one in.

Looks like there is a cover on the inside of the top case with some screws, before I just wantonly started taking things apart, I thought I would as for some advice - and hopefully avoid turning a small task into a big one.

Thanks in advance.....

Don't drink before you start! (I found it was significantly harder as a result) Yeah its a pain in the ass, but doable. Watch the video Piotek supplied you above. Watch it, fix it, then drink! (But wait till the next day to ride....ok!

Oh and you didn't say what model case you bought as the locking mechanisms are different from model to model. But I beleive youtube has you covered in either case...get it....case........

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

• Premium Member
Well I admitted defeat, and brought the lock mechanism to my local dealer. They too were stumped, but after 4 attempts, they figured out how to assemble the darn thing and make it work. There wasn't anything they were doing that I hadn't tried (or them either), but the mechanism is very particular. When all the pieces are put together exactly right, it feels solid and works. If anything is slightly off, no dice. Shad continues to disappoint me, but I like the look of these bags on the FJ-09, much better than any other that I have found.

I took a ride with it today, and it works great, and it's really nice to have just one key for all my cases (2 side cases, plus the top case) I'm bringing two dozen donuts to the dealer tomorrow, because they wouldn't take any money from me for all their work fixing it.

Archived