• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Couple of Questions... FJ-09

tcrider

I have a new to me 2015 FJ-09 with 17,000 miles. 

1) The PO said the chain and sprockets were replaced by the dealer which appear to be true.  The chain needs to be replaced again as it is stretched in places causing tight and loose spots as the  wheel is rotated.  Also note the crimping of the link, not sure what tool was used.  What do you think of this crimp and do you believe (like I do) that the chain was tightened incorrectly after replacement?

P1030883.jpg

2) This bike has so much gear whine that it is almost unbearable, even with full face helmet, in sixth gear.  From everyones experience is this normal?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

First of all, welcome to the forum and the motorcycle!

I wear ear plugs so I cannot comment on the gear whine. Perhaps an oil change is in order?

Looks like a flat-head (sorry wrong name) rivet chain opposed to the normal mushroom style. If the dealer / shop that did the chain set the tension to service manual specs then it was certainly too tight. Otherwise, its probably just normal wear.

'15 FJ09

The gear whine is normal.. I hear it most in 3rd and 6th. The consensus is that the whine is a result of straight cut gears.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Thanks everyone, I suspect the chain was adjusted to tight and I have reset it to what I believe is appropriate. I have a proper riveter for a chain so I may try re-crimping the links but will probably replace it soon just because it bothers me. Yes 3 and 6 gear are the worse and I do ware ear plugs on longer rides it just around town that it really gets annoying. I did change the oil/filter right after getting it even thought it was supposedly done. Attache is a photo nice looking bike IMHO.

P1030873.jpg

• Premium Member

I have a new to me 2015 FJ-09 with 17,000 miles. 

1) The PO said the chain and sprockets were replaced by the dealer which appear to be true.  The chain needs to be replaced again as it is stretched in places causing tight and loose spots as the  wheel is rotated.  Also note the crimping of the link, not sure what tool was used.  What do you think of this crimp and do you believe (like I do) that the chain was tightened incorrectly after replacement?

P1030883.jpg

It appears to be one of the EK Screw Chain Master Connecting Link type of links. 

Thanks for the link, I have never seen that type of master link before.  Maybe I'm to old school that one is new to me.  It appears you just screw down the nuts until the thread is deformed and brakes off.

Factory Gear whine is kinda loud but not unbearable. Mine is way louder since I put a aftermarket un-damped front sprocket on. Going to go back to an oem sprocket soon. But your chain master link looks to be over tightened.

Archived