Self guided Alps tour routes

Hi, forum friends.

After a couple of trips through Utah and Arizona, it's time to plan a trip in the Alps.  We will fly in from the US east coast, rent motorcycles and hope to find the back roads, small towns and villages in the Alps for 6-8 days before returning home. 

I think a self-guided tour would be best.  I want to take it slow and see the sights, short hikes, explore villages.   I think 60-80 miles a day would be fine: 2 hours after breakfast, hike, hour to lunch, hour after lunch.  Hang out in the village.  Stay in small local inns.  Ride a couple of nice passes.  That's the kind of day I prefer.

I don't think I want to go with a group - just my friend and I.  Better to meet local people.  And I don't want to be in the seat all day.

I would appreciate if any of you can help with starting points, route suggestions, sights, etc.  This would probably be a September tour.

Thank you for your help.  And if you need my south west US itinerary/routes - I'd be happy to share them.

IMG_1291.jpgIMG_1274.jpg

Highly suggest a copy of "Motorcycle Journeys Through the Alps and Beyond: 5th edition" by John Hermann. https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Journeys-Through-Alps-Beyond/dp/1884313388/ref=dp_ob_image_bk

On my first overseas tour did one week with a group in the Alps that ended in Munich. From there had a second week solo so followed one of the suggestions from the book renting a bike in Munich and riding to Andermatt Switzerland which is at the junction of three alpine passes -- Furka, St Gotthard, and Oberalp. Spent a week doing day trips from there. Great stuff.

• Premium Member
In 2014 two of us flew to Munich took a train up to Landshut to A bike shop... can’t think of the name just now. Rented MT-09’s rode the Alps for 20 days. No your company. I got the map set for Europe only Garmin made routes to as many passes as we could do!
I found a group www.alpineroads.com. Just a bunch of riders who provided immense help in planning this.

We rode 300 to 400 miles a day on many days. We ended up putting 4,000 miles in the bikes. A day off or a stay over. Stelvio, Furka... all the famous passes. That was the goal. We found some amazing small roads.. the ones that were about 1 1/4 lane wide through valleys etc. just amazing!

Took most of the year before planning. I would love to do it again!

You can do it!

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

This is helpful.
Thank you.

I just returned from a bicycle touring week with VBT.  We flew into Innsbruck and rode in the Dolomites.  Bolzano, Madonna Del Campiglio, to Riva Del Garda.

The Austrian Alps look fabulous - lots of motorcycles were touring and storming the Alps.

Archived