Me too

Hi,  

I've been lurking for a few months doing research. Thanks a ton for all the information you guys post on this site available to non-members.

I bought a 2015 FJ 09 yesterday from a dealer. It was a demo-ish bike with 171 miles on it. I have been destroying the back roads of western Montana since (under 4500 rpms, cause I'm still in break in). I'm in love with this bike, and you people helped me decide to buy it. This is the first new bike I've ever owned.

So so stoked to be at the party. Thanks for the invite.

slinkydog

• Supporting Member
Welcome @slinkydog , dont fret too much about keeping it below 4500rpm for break-in, you can get into higher rpms, just dont hold them there for long periods of time.

Make sure the chain tension is between 1-1.25", like the suggestion above, dont believe everything you read in the owners manual, from chain tension to torque values to shift points to break-in procedure, there is a lot of stuff that is just wrong or overly cautious.

I recommend a radiator guard as a start, from there, start reading through these pages, there is a lot that has been discovered and corrected since 2015. Feel free to ask questions.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
@slinkydog - Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on the new FJ. They are hugely entertaining bikes, and there are lots of available options to tune/modify/adapt them to your specific needs.

I wasn’t overly-cautious with break-in procedures, and essentially just rode it like I normally would... probably wise to stay away from the rev limiter until after the first oil change, but otherwise just ride it and enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...
Betoney, I appreciate the advice, and I'm tooling up. I find myself on dirt roads more and more. The bike came with serious wide dirt bike knobby tires. Plenty of mountain roads in Montana to explore, although I'm not super comfortable on the boney steep stuff.

You recommended putting a radiator screen on it first thing. I see the need now that I hear rocks whacking my undercarriage. Can you recommend a radiator protector that you've had good luck with? I need to get one on. I see different models on Yamaha and revzilla. Do you have a favorite? Some appear to have wierd adhesive type installation.

2200 miles on the FJ 09 in less than a month. I'm gonna get fired from my job.  I love my motorcycle.

Ride safe, thanks for any advice.

Wayne

Archived