• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Replace FJ with FZ engine

leedavis

• Supporting Member
To my knowledge, the FJ/ FZ/ XSR and new Tracer models all use the same engines. ‘15 and ‘16 models won’t have assist/slipper clutch.

What did you do to destroy the engine?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

The short answer is the cam chain snapped and took out teeth on the balancer shaft. It's a major repair and not my idea of fun. With what I've found so far I'm already at half the cost of a salvage engine.
Any info on what caused the cam chain to snap? Stock tensioner?

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

The short answer is the cam chain snapped and took out teeth on the balancer shaft. It's a major repair and not my idea of fun. With what I've found so far I'm already at half the cost of a salvage engine.
There's fault which could be liability but I can't answer until I know more. 

There's fault which could be liability but I can't answer until I know more.
oh come on!! :-P

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Were you hearing any chain noise from RH side? Mileage?
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

Also I used a harbor freight lawnmower/atv lift with a ratchet strap and some scrap 2x4’s for the extraction and install. Don’t bother with the special Yamaha tool to loosen the sleeves that pinch the engine into the frame and just use a large flathead screwdriver.

Also I used a harbor freight lawnmower/atv lift with a ratchet strap and some scrap 2x4’s for the extraction and install. Don’t bother with the special Yamaha tool to loosen the sleeves that pinch the engine into the frame and just use a large flathead screwdriver.
I got the old engine out yesterday with a floor jack, furniture dolly and tire iron to pry it loose.  Redneck engineering at its finest! 
The replacement engine delivers tomorrow.

Guest highplainsrider
I'm following your thread just out of curiosity and hoping to see a positive outcome. I checked Ebay for used FZ-09 motors and found one out of a 2017 with less than 4,000 miles on it for $1,100. Shipping is included in the price. Almost worth it to just change the motor at 26,000 miles and skip the maintenance.

Anyway, it's good to know that a catastrophic engine failure is reasonably inexpensive to fix.

I'm following your thread just out of curiosity and hoping to see a positive outcome. I checked Ebay for used FZ-09 motors and found one out of a 2017 with less than 4,000 miles on it for $1,100. Shipping is included in the price. Almost worth it to just change the motor at 26,000 miles and skip the maintenance. 
Anyway, it's good to know that a catastrophic engine failure is reasonably inexpensive to fix.
Yeah, around a $1000 seems to be the typical price for a salvage.  I'm paying $988 shipped for a 2015 FZ engine with 6800 miles from an Ebay vendor with 100% positive feedback rating.  I got a call from the shipper and delivery is set back a day to tomorrow. 
BTW, the 26000 mile maintenance isn't that bad.  I had to re-shim all 3 exhaust valves for the valve check and while it takes a bit of time, it's no where near as miserable a job as my previous tourer, an FJR1300.

• 2 weeks later...
I got the replacement engine installed and the bike buttoned up a couple of days ago. All the exhaust valves were out of spec and had to be shimmed but other than that the engine went in "as is" except for fresh oil/filter and coolant. The engine performed without incident on its shake down run and I'm confident taking the bike out for a long dayride through the western NC mountains this Sunday.

Archived