Thinking of moving from a Multistrada 1200 S to a Tracer 900

rhino

zapf001 - Where's the other side of that lightbar mount? I'm looking to put some fog lights on my tracer and I'm not looking to spend the ridiculous amount of money that Yamaha wants on the PIAA lights, even if I "can" somehow get them here in the states. I'm looking for ideas!!!
I made my own mount.  I am away from home and the bike for a few weeks so can't get you any photos.   I will describe it to you. Look for the first fairing clip facing up on top of the side fairing working from front to back.  Put your head at the same horizontal level looking just under the center instrument support and you will see the fairing clip on the other side.

What I did was to make a strong box section of aluminum and mounted it on top of the fairing clip using barrel nuts and screws.  And also made some 90" angle to connect the aluminum box section to the steel supports just under the instruments. I used 3M VHB to tape the 90" angles to the box section and instrument support.   Have traveled over 2600km with the Denali D4's hanging there and all seems to be good.

Upsides: fun, motor, handling, manageability, comfort (for driver), likely reliability 
Downsides: it could use more front weight bias, to make it less wheelie-prone (fixed for 2019); rear passenger pegs too high (fixed for 2019)

The Yamaha's maintenance story will likely be a lot better than the Ducati, adn the total cost of ownership much lower.

Adding to it... 
Upsides: fun, motor, handling, manageability, comfort (for driver), likely reliability (note: build to a price)

Downsides: it could use more front weight bias, to make it less wheelie-prone (fixed for 2019); rear passenger pegs and center stand gets in the way for the rider's boots.

The Yamaha's maintenance story will likely be a lot better than the Ducati, and the total cost of ownership much lower.  (To be fair, I have got 45'000km on the Multistrada. And all it needed was the usual oil / filter / chain / sproket / tires. Higher use than normal will be chain and sproket [its a big twin, its hard to chain and sprokets] and needs cambelt every 24'000km.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 4:06 PM, zachd said:

Funny...I'm actually looking to move from my FJ-09 to a KTM 1290 Adventure S. Am I also crazy? LOL

This is the bike that really gives me the itch to switch. Price is a little steep, but damn that big KTM makes me want to do something stupid.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, hawkeye said:

This is the bike that really gives me the itch to switch. Price is a little steep, but damn that big KTM makes me want to do something stupid.

I also have a KTM 1290 Super Duke R.  There are so many great bikes in the market now!  

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

8 hours ago, hawkeye said:

I actually ended up pulling the trigger on a leftover 2017 KTM Super Adventure T. I couldn't say no when I walked out the door 4k under MSRP with tags included for the first year. 

Archived