Brandon (Smartline) Cruise Control install issues

builderbob

• Premium Member
I bought one of Cruizin's cruise control system when they were still available.  Never installed it on my bike because my Rostra system is working very well.

Anyhoo, my bro-in-law bought a '17 FJ and we decided to install the kit on his.  Three issues:

After installation, check engine light stays on.  All of the connections appear to be correct.  Don't know what's causing this.

Cruise doesn't work.  We go though the setup process and get all of the correct beeps until the step for calibrating the throttle.  We don't get the 1 high tone beep after opening the throttle all the way and pressing the resume button.  We just get steady low tone beeps.

Idle is rough after this install.

There must be a few who installed this system that are still on the forum.  Sure would appreciate some help on this one.

Thanks in advance.

If the check engine light is on while just sitting there and idling the bike, see if a code number appears in the RH side of the display (IIRC). If it doesn’t appear, shut the bike off and switch the key back on again without cranking the engine over - does a fault number appear at that point?

I don’t have any idea if the cruise unit itself has any on-board diags, sorry.

-Skip

• Premium Member
Thanks for your help Skip. It’s a 2017 model, so diag isn’t available on the cluster. We stripped the cruise and all of its components off the bike, putting it back to stock configuration. Idle is improved, but the check engine light is still on. My bro-in-law will take it to the dealer sometime this week so they can put their scanner on it.

Bummer that the cruise didn’t work. He’s going to look into McCruise system next.

Thanks for your help Skip. It’s a 2017 model, so diag isn’t available on the cluster. We stripped the cruise and all of its components off the bike, putting it back to stock configuration. Idle is improved, but the check engine light is still on. My bro-in-law will take it to the dealer sometime this week so they can put their scanner on it. 
Bummer that the cruise didn’t work. He’s going to look into McCruise system next.

That is a bummer. Theoretically it shouldn’t matter if it’s a 17 vs a 16 model as far as installing the cruise module, unless Yamaha switched a wiring color somewhere that wasn’t obvious from the cc install instructions.

Yes, code clear will require dealer software or an OBD2 scanner with Yamaha adapter.

I’m still curious what code was set though and I thought the display would show it. Unfortunately it doesn’t always pop up in a reliable way. The MIL light also may still be on because the ecm REQUIRES the code to be cleared before going away or because it’s still a CURRENT code and the ecm is defaulting to another set of operating instructions because it thinks there’s still a problem.

Good luck. Post back if you want to try and figure this out further or have an update, Bob.

-S

Your primary "problem" is that the ECU on 2017 (and later) models IS different than pre-2017 models. Additionally, because 2017 & later models are "drive by wire" (meaning there's no physical (ie. wire) connecting between the throttle & engine, there's a VERY high probability that a cruise control unit designed for pre-2017 FJs will not work on 2017 & later FJs.

As for the 'Check Engine' light, this appears to be a common occurrence on 2017 & later FJs. The exact same thing happened to me after installing the MCCruise cruise control. Honestly, I don't know what causes this, but I'll assume that any "messing" with engine-related electronics is the culprit. To resolve it, you don't necessarily need to take the bike to a dealership's service department...it's you have an OBD II reader, and an OBD II-to-Yamaha 4-pin adapter, you can check the code(s) yourself, as well as clear the 'Check Engine' light. That's how I cleared it after installing the MCCruise...and I haven't had any "problems" since.

15-16 models are “fly by wire” or YCC-T as well.

There is a physical cable that connects the throttle to a TPS sensor. That sensor reports position to the ECM and ECM controls a stepper motor which opens and closes the throttle plate butterflies. A second TPS monitors the action as a failsafe.

-Skip

• Premium Member
Thanks for the input everyone. I am now 1,000 miles away from the project. I was up in Ohio for business which is also where my bro-in-law lives. Took the weekend to work on his bike. As stated previously, he will take it to the dealer to clear the code. I have asked him to find out which code it threw so we'll know.

Meanwhile, the Rostra installation soldiers on in my 2015 FJ.

Sorry, just saw this and although its no help, I have the Brandon Cruise on my 2015 and it works fine. I vaguely recall that the beep sequence I got after install wasn't initially correct. I had to re-initiate the procedure until 3rd time was the charm. Its a shame he stopped making it, based on my experience its been a reliable unit.

• Premium Member
Sorry, just saw this and although its no help, I have the Brandon Cruise on my 2015 and it works fine. I vaguely recall that the beep sequence I got after install wasn't initially correct. I had to re-initiate the procedure until 3rd time was the charm. Its a shame he stopped making it, based on my experience its been a reliable unit.
Guessing that it might have been because of the difference in the 2017 ECU vs the 2015.  Can't know for sure.  That and the possibility that one of the harnesses might have had issues.  One of the plugs that goes into the Smartline unit looked kind of deformed.  Who knows. 
Regardless, I appreciate the help from the forum.  Nice to know that there are folks here willing to lend a (virtual) hand.

Archived