Smart Turn System installation failure!!

kdixon06

Has anyone ever tried to install the Smart Turn System on your FJ09? I have a 2015 and have tried numerous times to install this thing and it will just not work. I know the unit itself is fine because, as suggested by the manufacturer, I hooked up the battery and ground cables of the unit to my bike battery and you can hear clicks coming from it. It doesn't seem to be getting power to the unit once I hook it up per the instructions. 

are you hooking it up to the "hot wire" going into the turn signal block or a power wire that sends power to the turn signal when the button is pressed?
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

It might help if you have a copy of the instructions for us to see, in case we notice some silly quirk for our bikes? I'm guessing the instructions are generic rather than bike specific?
https://www.safer-turn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/STS_install_manual_FINAL_V6.pdf 
The instructions I have seem to be specific to our bike, well at least the Tracer anyhow. Even the video on their website that shows how to install is specific to an FJ, so not sure what's going wrong. Just thought I may run into someone on here that has tried to install one and ran into the same trouble.

Those are actually good instructions. I’ve seen much worse! Thanks for the upload, it’s much easier to see what you needed to do now.

There’s lots of things that could be wrong. I’d double check your connections first and make sure you didn’t mix up any wire colors.
Secondly, T taps or the like can sometimes make a poor connection even though you think they are securely fastened. Third, even though the diagram of what wiring colors you should use leading from the switch of a Yamaha is laid out in the chart - verify the colors are actually corresponding with the function the are labeled for our FJ switch. This will take some digging in the service manual (do you have one?)

How did you find your 12v reference and ground wires? Using a test light or VOM?

If you disconnect everything, do the turn signals still work correctly? Important thing to verify!

-Skip

Looks like that could be the issue... To clarify (Google Translated:)

There is an online tutorial here:
for the Tracer, for the MT09 the beam is identical I think.  

Attention on this tutorial there is an error : on the bottom terminal, it is necessary to connect bypass a + 12v on the red cable of the STS

Red on the + 12v (ACC) of the motorcycle color white / red on the beginning of the video!

Not good !!! In fact it's a good + but it delivers less than 11V. And it does not work!

The STS red wire must be connected to the BROWN cable of this bottom plug.

On the diagram provided I rectified it.

Moreover, later in the video, we see this brown wire connected to the red wire su STS (it's 12V here).

Those are actually good instructions. I’ve seen much worse! Thanks for the upload, it’s much easier to see what you needed to do now.  
There’s lots of things that could be wrong. I’d double check your connections first and make sure you didn’t mix up any wire colors.
Secondly, T taps or the like can sometimes make a poor connection even though you think they are securely fastened. Third, even though the diagram of what wiring colors you should use leading from the switch of a Yamaha is laid out in the chart - verify the colors are actually corresponding with the function the are labeled for our FJ switch. This will take some digging in the service manual (do you have one?)

How did you find your 12v reference and ground wires? Using a test light or VOM?

If you disconnect everything, do the turn signals still work correctly? Important thing to verify!

-Skip
I think I may have it now. Someone from Europe pointed me in the direction of a European Tracer Forum and someone there had the same issue. It was one wire that was wrong in the instructions. Thanks for your feedback as well!

Hello, 
For your problem with the STS system, you should take a look to our french forum :

http://www.mt09.net/t10265-montage-et-test-smart-turn-system-clignotants-a-arret-automatique?highlight=turn

There is an error on the STS instructions. Brown cable instead of red cable.

Hope these help a little...
You are right, I just hooked it up again and used the brown wire instead and it worked. It was just that one wire...geez!! Thanks for your input!

Looks like that could be the issue... To clarify (Google Translated:) 

There is an online tutorial here:
for the Tracer, for the MT09 the beam is identical I think.  

Attention on this tutorial there is an error : on the bottom terminal, it is necessary to connect bypass a + 12v on the red cable of the STS

Red on the + 12v (ACC) of the motorcycle color white / red on the beginning of the video!

Not good !!! In fact it's a good + but it delivers less than 11V. And it does not work!

The STS red wire must be connected to the BROWN cable of this bottom plug.

On the diagram provided I rectified it.

Moreover, later in the video, we see this brown wire connected to the red wire su STS (it's 12V here).
Thank you for your feedback, it was definitely the brown wire that was causing the issue. I hooked it up to brown instead of the white/red and it seems to work now. Thank you so much!

• 2 weeks later...
Curious to know how the smart turn system is working out for you. Would you recommend it to others?

Actually works really well. Your lane changes have to be a little more dramatic to get the sensor to pick up the turn, but actual turns from stop lights, roundabouts all work really well! A very convenient gadget. Installations not that bad once you have the right instructions. I would recommend it, especially for someone like me that tends to forget to turn their signal off!

Archived