anyone have the side case installation instructions?

wanderer

I am looking for the instructions for installation of the OEM side cases for the FJ-09. In particular, for the support bracket.

The specific question I want to answer is: can the side case support bracket be installed if the passenger foot pegs are removed? Or does the case bracket need to attach to the foot peg bracket?

• Supporting Member
@wanderer - I don’t have a copy of the instructions, but looking at my bike the saddlebag lower bracket absolutely attaches to the back of the passenger footpeg carrier. There are two screws that go through the saddlebag bracket and attach to the peg carrier right behind the passenger peg.

The saddlebag bracket is very thick steel, so while you might be ok running without that lower mounting point, it clearly is an integral part of the structural design.

57d64537b5b3d6cc5612883144197320.jpg

4ddbaed87481cc7decec2e948fa14d7a.jpg

5735eb85ce89f9a823e7763d0a74d969.jpg

Apologies for the bike being so filthy... haven’t had a chance to clean it up since last week’s rainstorms.

If you mean the ones that come out on the Tracer GT I have them and installed them myself. 

There is a bracket that screws into the end of the passenger foot pegs and is braced under the subframe so you definitely need the foot pegs in place. The bracket screws into each footpeg using 3 screws and ends up being an extension to the foot peg

The corner of the side case basically slides into this bracket and that is how it is kept upright so you can't do without it either. 

Say texscottyd, could you please also show a picture where the side case bracket mounts to the frame, and how that relates to the passenger foot peg bracket mount to the frame?

I am trying to visualize how the side-case bracket could be attached to the same holes (I assume) without moving the foot-peg bracket.

If you mean the ones that come out on the Tracer GT I have them and installed them myself.

I am looking for the older FJ-09 set up.

But you are making legit connections ... I am really wondering if I could use the FJ-09 side case bracket mounted directly to the Tracer 900 GT frame and remove the T900GT passenger foot pegs altogether. I have posts on the T900GT subforum about how the passenger foot pegs crowd the rider pegs and make the bike a no-go for me. Trying to figure out a solution giving my feet enough room and keeping the side-cases. I never do two-up riding.

• Supporting Member
Hey @wanderer - The upper mounts are pretty straight-forward: On the FJ09, the saddlebag bracket bolts between the frame mounting lug and the passenger footpeg carrier. My bike also has an Ohlins shock reservoir mounting bracket in the stack on the left side, so in these pictures, the inside-to-outside order is frame mount, shock bracket, saddlebag bracket, passenger peg carrier.

c15691d2dbec366e786d2b57645323b4.jpg

e9c94fbcab0e45eace0ec062bb6c30e8.jpg

Other than possibly needing shorter bolts, you could mount the FJ saddlebag brackets directly to the frame without the passenger peg carriers. The earlier caveat of not having the triangulated support at the bottom of the footpeg carrier still applies...

• 1 year later...

Hey guys, 

I will bring this up once again. I purchased a pair of used side OEM cases lately. However, I don't have the bolts to mount the support brackets shown above. Do you guys have an idea the metrics of these bolts? It would be a great help. Thanks in advance!

Edited by Patriot

• 3 months later...

Let me update this topic. After skipperTs advice, I looked for the right bolts. However the problem was about the mount itself. It was for a Tracer 700. I looked up for the right mount but unfortunately, the hard saddlebags were not available for '15-'17 Tracers in Europe and even Yamaha Europe didn't have the part number. So I did some checks and purchased a hard saddle bag mount compatible with FJ09s in the US. It hasn't arrived yet, however I realized there is a warning on the installation instruction: "Do not install this kit on MT-09 Tracer Models. Installed side bags may have an adverse effect on handling at speeds over 130 km/h." But on the other side, there is another warning about FJ09s "Do not exceed 80 mph (130kph) with side cases installed. It sounds like a justification of "why Yamaha is not selling hard cases in Europe for '15-'17 Tracers". But let me ask you all this, what is the design difference between 2015-2017 FJ-09 and Tracer 900? Do you think this warning has a basis in terms of design difference of these two models or just a marketing justification?

Thanks guys.

• 9 months later...