Part of hard plastic gas line fell into gas tank

vtwin996

Pulled a stupid stunt yesterday. Was filling my GT900 in the garage from a 5 gallon gas plastic can. The gas can has a flexible gas line with a short 1 inch insert at the end that is threaded to hold a cap. As I finished filling and started pulling out the hose, the insert at the end of the line caught on the edge of the filler insert and fell into the tank. 

The insert is about an inch long and open at both ends and I don't think will float in the gas so it's right now rolling around in the bottom of the tank.

I went for a 150 mile yesterday with no problem. The only way I can think to get it out is to drain all the gas, remove the tank and shake it out.

My inclination is to ignore it. It's round, open and plastic and I assume there's no moving parts in the tank to catch on.

Any reasons I should not just ignore it or suggestions on how to remove without pulling the tank?

Thanks!

It shouldn't be a problem, only moving part in the tank will be the float to measure the level of fuel in there. Very unlikely to cause any problems but if you ever find yourself with the tank off take it out then. Otherwise, maybe a bent metal coat hanger or something to try and fish it out.

yes, I'm going on a ride tomorrow that should come close  to emptying the tank. Then I'll siphon as much as I can of the remaining gas, then do some fishing around with some heavy gauge plastic coated wire.
If you're going to be draining the fuel why not pull the fuel pump and then just shake the tank around until the piece comes out the hole or at least until it is close enough to the opening to get your fingers in to grab it cause fishing blindly with a solid object through the fuel inlet has the potential to poke that very expensive fuel pump or one of its associated parts. 

Cheers

I don’t believe so. It comes out of the bottom of the tank. Recommended that you replace the gasket if removed.

I would NOT recommend shaking the tank around! The fuel sending unit float is part of the pump assy and it could be easily damaged. Same with digging around with a coat hanger, be careful not to damage that float. I’ll bet the pump is upwards of $400 US.

-Skip

Does the fuel filler cap assembly come off? If that was easy to remove then you could probably get your hand inside then. With a nearly empty tank your skin exposure will be fine for a short dip, but it will defat your skin and make it look very dry.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Nope, tried that. I removed the whole filler cap assembly but the hole was no bigger than before. I'm getting one of those flexible grabber tools and try gently feeling around inside being careful not to pull anything too hard.

Did another 120 mile ride with no problems. I'm tempted to ignore it!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived