Engine case removal ?

3way

I haven't done it on this bike, but assuming its like every other bike:

1. Don't pinch your fingers, the stator magnets will want to pull that case back on
1.5 Don't pry on mating surfaces with a screwdriver. There should be some tabs you can pry against. Otherwise use your man hands and pull!
2. The starter clutch / gear / shaft will likely fall out.
3. Have a new gasket ready.
4. Don't over torque stuff going back together, use 1/4" drive ratchet / sockets

Good luck!

'15 FJ09

There is some oil in there. I neglected to mention that. Even if you drain your oil before hand, you'll still have some oil dribble out, just a lot less (assuming this bike is like the others I've done).

'15 FJ09

Good tip on stator magnets pulling case. Why a new gasket ? Is there any fluid behind there, or just to stop water/dust getting in ? 

Anytime you remove something that seals with a gasket, it should be replaced.

BTW- I’m fairly certain the coolant has to be drained as well when replacing the LH crankcase cover. The water pump attaches to the cover. That makes it a bit messier unfortunately.

-Skip

Good tip on stator magnets pulling case. Why a new gasket ? Is there any fluid behind there, or just to stop water/dust getting in ? 
BTW- I’m fairly certain the coolant has to be drained as well when replacing the LH crankcase cover. The water pump attaches to the cover. That makes it a bit messier unfortunately.

-Skip
I'm giving it a miss in that case, and just going to use a bit of jbweld to smooth over the scratches without removing, it's not bad enough to warrant pulling case with what's involved. Thanks for the tip on coolant ! 

• Supporting Member

-Skip
I'm giving it a miss in that case, and just going to use a bit of jbweld to smooth over the scratches without removing, it's not bad enough to warrant pulling case with what's involved. Thanks for the tip on coolant ! 
 Throw some case slider on to hide the scratches and you will get some protection in the bargain.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

Archived