Cutting down stock handlebars

Well it's getting cold, and now comes the time to make issues out of non issues, since I can't ride as often as I would like. I'm looking to chop the bars about 20-25mm on each side. I know I will need to drill new locating holes for the switches. Is there anything else I should consider before I get crazy with the band saw? Do the plugs in the bar ends only thread so far before they bottom out, or can I just thread them in once its cut?  I'm not really interested in buying a thread tap that large. Hah! I'm hoping I'm able to remove my newly installed heated left grip for the cut down.  Has anyone done this and can offer some feedback?

Thanks!!

• Supporting Member
Well it's getting cold, and now comes the time to make issues out of non issues, since I can't ride as often as I would like. I'm looking to chop the bars about 20-25mm on each side. I know I will need to drill new locating holes for the switches. Is there anything else I should consider before I get crazy with the band saw? Do the plugs in the bar ends only thread so far before they bottom out, or can I just thread them in once its cut?  I'm not really interested in buying a thread tap that large. Hah! I'm hoping I'm able to remove my newly installed heated left grip for the cut down.  Has anyone done this and can offer some feedback? 
Thanks!!

Is there a reason you are wanting to only use the stock bar?  There are many other bars available with different dimensions for more comfort, most importantly, more pull-back or rearward sweep.
I found the stock bars to be both too wide and too straight, I bought different narrower bars with a more comfortable bend and still cut another 15mm off each side.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Thanks!!

Is there a reason you are wanting to only use the stock bar?  There are many other bars available with different dimensions for more comfort, most importantly, more pull-back or rearward sweep.
I found the stock bars to be both too wide and too straight, I bought different narrower bars with a more comfortable bend and still cut another 15mm off each side.

The main reason was just to save money. I'm not really after more pull back as I already have riser blocks.  The more drastic sweep would be nice though as I agree they're too straight and too wide (one without the other would be fine). Were you able to retain the handguards?  As useless as they are, I still like the aesthetics they offer.  Which bars did you go with?

Thanks!

• Supporting Member

The main reason was just to save money. I'm not really after more pull back as I already have riser blocks.  The more drastic sweep would be nice though as I agree they're too straight and too wide (one without the other would be fine). Were you able to retain the handguards?  As useless as they are, I still like the aesthetics they offer.  Which bars did you go with? 
Thanks!

I didn’t like the bars or handguards from the first time I saw them on the showroom floor. I ditched the handguards and bars right away and bought Rizoma bars, they have a nice comfortable pull-back. 

Quick note on cutting down bars. If you are just looking to narrow your width. I put KTM 1190 handguards on without any modification and it brought down the width by almost an inch on each side so I clipped a lot fewer car mirrors when moving up front at a light (I live in CA where lane splitting is life saving when it comes to getting rear-ended). The wind protection is much much better as well.

Hello

I cut the stock bars  3/4 on each side.

This was a vast improvement.  A tap was needed to put the stock pieces back.

The Renthal bars I bought are still on the shelf. I will put those on later once  I get the correct information about

the cables and brake line.

Not sure why that part of the project is a mystery from the suppliers of cables and lines.
Any body have the current link on actual measurements for cables and brake lines?

cheers

H2

• Supporting Member
Hello 

I cut the stock bars  3/4 on each side.

This was a vast improvement.  A tap was needed to put the stock pieces back.

The Renthal bars I bought are still on the shelf. I will put those on later once  I get the correct information about

the cables and brake line.

Not sure why that part of the project is a mystery from the suppliers of cables and lines.
Any body have the current link on actual measurements for cables and brake lines?

cheers

H2

Because there a thousand different variables.  Every aftermarket bar has a different height and rearward sweep, are you using bar risers? what size? are your stock risers in the forward or rearward position?

There's no way any company could possibly know, or even want to know all of that information, for every bike made.

I cant imagine needing longer cables if you are using narrower bars.  I have Rizoma bars with a bar riser, 1" up and 1" back, stock bar risers in both forward and rearward position, I have used the stock length cables with no problems.

What bars did you buy? Renthal makes many different heights and bends.  My buddy uses Renthal (street fighter?) bars on his FJ with stock length cables.

After getting everything installed, use a jack or stand to lift the front end and still be able to turn the bars side to side, start the engine and turn full left and full right and make sure the idle doesn't change or the cables dont snag on anything. 

Archived