Shock install help

fr8dog

• Supporting Member

If you are talking about up and down movement of the swingarm, that is normal. 

All of my bikes, street or dirt, have done that, even after brand new bearings and seals.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, betoney said:

If you are talking about up and down movement of the swingarm, that is normal. 

All of my bikes, street or dirt, have done that, even after brand new bearings and seals.

No - side to side on the shock itself. On the bottom of the shock where it bolts to the swingarm.

The bolt and nut are somewhat lower and not a straight shot for a ratchet. Can't get enough pressure with wrenches.

• Supporting Member

There is movement there because the bolt actually pinches the inner bearing race, which is slightly longer than the width of the arm. Have a look at the photo. All three of these float side-to-side slightly. You will need an offset tool into there to torque down the one you mention.

arm.thumb.JPG.9cdf0ee3bd6f31343e56d5bfca285332.JPG

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
10 minutes ago, fr8dog said:

No - side to side on the shock itself. On the bottom of the shock where it bolts to the swingarm.

The bolt and nut are somewhat lower and not a straight shot for a ratchet. Can't get enough pressure with wrenches.

When I originally replaced my shock, I ended up buying some Ratcheting-Flex Wrenches to gain proper access.  When I recently removed my shock to have it serviced, I found it was much easier to remove the swingarm to gain access, VERY simple process, it just takes a few minutes.  With the swingarm removed you have access to fully tighten everything properly.  Not to mention that greasing your linkage and swingarm bearings should be annual maintenance.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
On 12/15/2018 at 11:27 AM, piotrek said:

There is movement there because the bolt actually pinches the inner bearing race, which is slightly longer than the width of the arm. Have a look at the photo. All three of these float side-to-side slightly. You will need an offset tool into there to torque down the one you mention.

arm.thumb.JPG.9cdf0ee3bd6f31343e56d5bfca285332.JPG

Are those races pressed in or do they slide out easily?

I couldn’t get the top (widest) tube out of my swing arm when I tried so I had to settle for lubing what I could see. The other two came out easily. Do you have to use anything to get the top one out?

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Archived