Chilly

fr8dog

• Premium Member

Rode for a couple of hours this afternoon.  Took the long way down to Foresthill. Went down Mosquito Ridge Road a few miles and took these pics. Turned around and headed home. MRR is tough. Wasn't up to it today. Maybe never. Too many other roads to enjoy. I could see the snow peaks from Foresthill Hwy, so I tried getting a better look.

20181228_160940_resized.jpg

20181228_160953_resized.jpg

20181228_161012_resized.jpg

20181228_161039_resized.jpg

• Premium Member

Yeah, we've talked about it before. The first couple of miles are okay. No desire to go further. 30 miles of ultra technical riding and staying super alert are a bit much. One mistake and you could be done. That's not even considering fallen rocks, deer and other debris on the road.

You were right when you said too many other great roads around here.

I like the 17 mile ride down to Foresthill. Just don't like that you have to go back the same way you came in. Unless you know some other way out of there? Yesterday I mixed it up a bit. From Auburn I went down 49 to the bridge and then headed up that road that takes you to Foresthill Hwy.

The road from 49 is "Old Foresthill Rd" as it was the only way in and out before the Foresthill bridge was built. Foresthill Rd itself is very fun indeed. It was butter smooth back in the day. I went to high school at Placer High in Auburn. So my senior year I got to enjoy Foresthill Rd almost every day. It's a good thing I started on a DR200 or I probably would have splattered myself a few times.... 

The other way out of Foresthill,  is Yankee Jims and will drop you off in Colfax. I don't think it's paved all the way through though. There's also Iowa Hill Rd which is even more remote than Yankee Jims. Definitely not paved. You can connect MRR and Ice House Rd, but I've never done it. Only heard about people doing it. Again, not paved. Even more alternatively, you can follow the Foresthill Rd ALLLLLL the way up to Soda Springs near the ski resorts. Obviously that's only available during summer months. 

'15 FJ09

• 2 weeks later...

I'm actually a big fan of MRR. I kinda like the technical stuff.  It's a different ride for every bike, tho. On my little SV I can throw it around with wild abandon, but on the big touring bikes I have to slow it way down. I haven't gone there on the FJ yet. I'm looking forward to it in the summer.

Speaking of, Pashnit just put up a new description of it:  http://www.pashnit.com/mosquito-ridge-rd

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

8 hours ago, maximo said:

I'm actually a big fan of MRR. I kinda like the technical stuff.  It's a different ride for every bike, tho. On my little SV I can throw it around with wild abandon, but on the big touring bikes I have to slow it way down. I haven't gone there on the FJ yet. I'm looking forward to it in the summer.

Speaking of, Pashnit just put up a new description of it:  http://www.pashnit.com/mosquito-ridge-rd

Huh, neat article. Although I dispute the name of the bridge, it's the Foresthilll bridge. 

More importantly, there *is* another paved road out of Foresthill, from the article:

" The only paved option that crosses over the river is #3 option- Iowa Hill Rd at Colfax which connects through the gold rush town of Iowa Hill to Sugar Hill Reservoir and joins up with Foresthill Rd via NF 10 - Sugar Pine Rd 9 miles east of Foresthill."

'15 FJ09

5 hours ago, koth442 said:

Huh, neat article. Although I dispute the name of the bridge, it's the Foresthilll bridge. 

For a minute I thought you were referring to the circle bridge, but turns out that the name for the big bridge on the ravine is Foresthill Bridge! I never knew that. 

Somewhere in my archives I have a GoPro video of me on MRR riding the ST1100. The ride had an unexpected end when I hit snow up on top. 

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

Archived